Sunday, February 8, 2009

A great day in the ozarks

365 Group
I rode mine today

Today was shaping up to be nice, weather wise. I loaded up a couple of cameras and a tripod and headed out for work. My intent was to take a couple of pictures of some old buildings that the company is going to tear down and then maybe get in a mile or two on the return trip.

The old guard shack where I work was "slapped" together back in 1958 or 59. It is still in use today and now there is a plan to build a new one. I find it kind of unique that it has lasted this long without being "upgraded". To me, these old buildings are kind of a Historical or "Hysterical" land mark.

After a couple of pictures and visiting with the Guard I loaded back up and pulled out onto Highway 412 and went east towards Huntsville. Just as I was coming to the eastern edge of town I had a couple of big bikes pull around me and roar down the road like they were in a hurry. I thought about keeping on there tail for a second. I decided that I wasn't in a hurry and watched them disappear over a slight hill. I was feeling good being out and my bike was running good. We seemed to just float down the road. Traffic was thin and I was making good time. The new highway makes it a quick trip anymore. I don't really like this as it takes away from the travel and you seem to bypass the small towns along the way. It also causes those little communities to just kind of dry up and disappear. I like the stops in the small towns.

Pulling up on the Huntsville turn off I had picked up a lot of traffic and so I headed down toward town and let some of the traffic get around me. Most people just don't realize how much they have lost in gaining a few minutes travel time.

My ride through Huntsville was a slow lazy one. Small towns and small town cops and all that.

Once through town I opened back up again and made for Highway 21 and a run back through Berryville and Eureka Springs. It had been a few days since I had been over this road and I thought I'd see if there was any construction or repairs going on. I didn't see anything going on on the road and pulled into Berryville and noticed how much it had changed, yet stayed the same. Lots of small towns in this area seem to be affected this way. They grow and change but always seem to stay the same. Running through Berryville I enjoyed the few miles to Eureka. The traffic was light and I made pretty good time.
In Eureka I stopped at Planet leather and looked around. This is one of the few leather shops I recommend in the area. Nice folks and easy to deal with. I have never had a problem with anything I have gotten from them. After my stop off I pulled across the street and got some gas and a coke. The ride home was a smooth one as again traffic was light at this time of day. Light all the way over to the highway 412 intersection. traffic always seems heavy on 412. One of those roads that is quickly getting onto my super slab list. Any road that has this much traffic just like and interstate, isn't much fun for me to ride.
Jumping across 412 I eased through Hindsville over to Highway 45 and as the old saying goes "Go west young man", I headed west. Nine miles later I pulled into town and opted for a quick burger at the little gas station - cafe before going home.
I had a good ride in really good weather for the season. I got some very good pictures of some old land marks and got to visit with some friends along the way. Seriously now, could you ask for more than that?
I'm hoping for better weekends coming up. More short area trips and maybe my partner will get back into riding.
I thank God for all I've been able to do. With his help I will be able to continue.
Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: