Wednesday, September 16, 2009

9/16/09 Last couple of weeks.


365 Group (f)

This past couple of weeks has been fast paced and wet.
My mom had surgery and I have been running back and forth almost daily. About 70 miles one way so it's been a fun couple of weeks. The surgery wasn't as major as some. However it has her pretty much immobile for a while.
Starting out this last trip down the weather was warm and clear. I hit the highway over to 412 and made record time for the ten mile stretch. Thinking that if 412 went this good I'd make it down in about and hour. That's what I get for thinking. I hit 412 at 40 MPH. A pickup with a trailer load of water melon had everything down to a snails pace for about 17 miles. That with the going home from work crowd, well, it wasn't pretty.
I finally got out of any real traffic about 30 miles from the house and got to open the bike up a little. Highway 412 down to Highway 65 is a nice ride. The road has been widened and had a few passing lanes put in. A short trip, only 66 miles to the Hospital in Harrison but really a lot of fun.
Pulling into Harrison small town traffic kicked in and it was poke along time again. Finally I made it up to the Hospital and sent everyone home. I had a great visit with my mom. The nurses were top notch. They brought me a blanket and pillow so I could sack out in the UN easy chair. Funny that was the most uncomfortable recliner I have ever been in but I got one of the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. The way it forced me to lay took all the pressure off my lower back. Next morning I felt GOOD!!
While the nurses and Doctors did their thing I went out to check on my bike. Coming back in I had my spare helmet in my hand. As I walked back into the room, my moms Doc and the nurses asked her if she had someone coming to pick her up as they were releasing her. She pointed at me and said he's here now. I handed her my helmet as she spoke and every ones jaws hit the floor. Absolutely priceless!!
After moms release I followed them out of town. At a long section of highway I passed them and went on to get some gas so we would all get to the house at the same time. Running down Highway 7 south is a very nice, twisty ride of about eighteen miles to Jasper. As I crossed the bridge coming into town my back tire got all squiggly. Pulling up to the pump I got off to a flat tire. This isn't good. This tire has a history. It was on an old parts bike and recently when I had worn my back tire thin I noticed that it was the same everything. So I just swapped out the sprocket hub and rolled it on. No telling how old it is.
It had good tread depth and no dry rot that I could find. So...? Ya know how it goes.
My mom and sister pulled up and we discussed the situation. I pumped air in and it seemed to hold so I ran the seventeen miles out to the house . I made it to the house and the tire went down in about 20 minutes. The next day we broke the tire down and found it full of rust from the spoke heads and that someone had folded the tube when it was mounted. Thats where it had the hole. No telling how old that tire is. Might even be close to original? I cleaned the rim and saying it was in bad shape is putting it mildly. Every spoke head was rusted bad. My brother patched the tube and it held. I'm still amazed.
I left moms to head back to the house and work on Tuesday. I took a little longer route and ended up doing seventy miles in the rain. It was all good. I even met a couple on a dresser. However due to the down pour we didn't stop and exchange pleasantries. They waved and both, best I could tell, had big grins plastered on their faces.
This last couple of weeks has been hectic. Work, worry and weather will always do it for ya.
I totaled a little under 600 miles so far in my running back and forth. Needed a paddle most of the time, but all in all I had a great past couple of weeks. Think I'll try it again this coming weekend.
Catch ya on the road

1 comment:

manthano said...

John.
Some one said that they just
don't make back tires like
they use to.