Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1/12/10 Another day in paradise

365 Group (f)

Today was a shade warmer than it has been. Got up to 47 degrees I heard from a guy at work.

I hadn't been doing a lot of riding lately so today I figured on getting in a few miles. I had a bike gathering of sorts to photograph after work so I saddled up.
When I headed out I had the fleeting thought that I was a "weee" bit nuts as the "hover round" was running good when I parked it yesterday.
I struggled into the snow mobile suit and went out to start the bike. It wasn't too bad. The wind wasn't blowing and felt more cool than cold.
After a little priming and a couple of cold kicks she fired about half way through the second kick. I'm still amazed. Fires right up after sitting for about a week in zero weather. I set the idle to a little faster than normal and headed back in for the work junk and my camera...and, since I was there, another cup of coffee. Finally, with the junk all strapped in place and my camera packaged for warmth I headed down my bumpy driveway. At the street I eased out hoping to not find and stray patches of ice. I made my way down to the highway and headed west. In the cool air the old twin ran really well and I hit a good steady clip of about 50. Wasn't too cold at this speed and really kind of comfortable being wrapped in a snow mobile suit and all.
I made good time over to the foot of the mountain and hit my back roads. The temps seemed a little cooler as I ran around the lake but as I pulled the hills I felt several warm pockets and figured it would better the closer I got to town.
I got on the new park way and ran along with traffic ignoring the "gawkers" and had a good time,all in all. I was also the only person to ride to work. Guess i have the title.
After work it was down right warm feeling when there wasn't any wind. I didn't bother with the snow mobile suit and just got on 71 and headed over to Fayetteville to take a few pictures of some folks and their bikes. On the way over to the juke joint where we were meeting I picked up a newer looking Victory and we rode along for a couple or three traffic lights. I gotta say I think he was enjoying the way people looked at us as much as I was. he turned with a wave toward the interstate and I headed to Dickson street.
After taking pictures of the bikes and shootin the breeze with everyone I decide to put on the snow suit and bite the bullet and head the long way toward the house. Poking along through town was almost like a fall afternoon cool but not cold. Once on the highway it did get down right cold. I had a good ride in. Even saw a couple of other riders as I slipped through town.
I had a good time, especially looking at the "rubber neckers" looking at me like I was cheating. Hey you can get around slow moving traffic too...ride a bike. I also had a good time waving at the little kids in the cars and suv's. They looked real excited as I would ride up and waved really big at me as I buzzed passed them at traffic tie ups.
Who knows? I may have to do this again tomorrow.

Catch ya on the road

1 comment:

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

John, I have hopes of doing something like this today. I guess I should say had... Seems things get in the way from time to tome. Tomorrow though, nothing will stop me. I had to pick up a can of ether (starting fluid~smelling salts) for the old girl though. She spent the first 13 years of her life in Florida, I tried starting her yesterday...and while the battery is strong...well...she's so darn cold blooded...wouldn't even sneeze or cough for me. Yesterdays temps were in the 30's. Today we will be in the high 40's, possibly low fifties....The ether ought to blast her lazy ass awake...what ya think?
Nice reading...