Wednesday, December 9, 2015

12-9-2015

Today was a good day for a ride, so I did.
I have been under the weather with the flu for the last couple of weeks and with the cooler temps and big case of lazy, I haven't been out. This wasn't so bad. The gummed up carburetors on my bike is another story.
Seems that sitting for a few days the “gas a nol” seems to have jellied and I couldn't get more than an idle out of the carburetor. I put fresh gas in and a heavy dose of Sea foam and began the long process of letting it eat through the gummed up jets. After an hour or so of starting and letting it idle while off and on trying to rev the engine I finally had some success. Enough that I could get it to pull itself. Cursing modern day technological advances I took off for a short ride. After three or four miles it seemed to have cleared out to the point I felt I could put on a few miles without worrying about it conking out on me. I made a short lazy loop of about twenty five miles on back roads and by the time I got back to the house it was running like it should.
I had had this problem often in Arkansas. Everyone agreed that it was due to the newer gas and where I was located. (northern Arkansas) It was widely rumored that we were getting a cull grade of gas because we were so far off the beaten path. Here in Texas where they are known for growing gas behind every bush I didn't expect this to happen, at least so quickly.
So, now it looks like I'll have to make more of an effort to buy sea foam and ride each day to keep everything moving smoothly. That itself is not a bad thing :-)
Days like today make me long for the 70's... I rode all over the seventies and don't once remember having gas issues, other that being critically low all the time, like this. 

always seek the adventure

catch ya on the road

No comments: