Saturday, October 18, 2008

Morning Commute

This morning was one of those mornings that you'd rather be doing anything but going to work.
The temperature was about 65 or so. the sky was clear with just a hint of clouds. i strapped on my stuff for work and wiped the bike down as the early morning dew can cause for a damp butt. Looking around I was thinking how I would love to just take a ride today. Ah well, gotta pay the bills I told myself as I pulled out the kick starter. Fired on the second kick,nice. After a few minutes to warm the old beast up I headed down the driveway and out to do battle with the morning traffic.
Pulling on to the highway it looked like I had hit an in between moment. There wasn't a vehicle in sight. It wasn't long before I had found myself tooling along at about a smooth 70 mph and had to make myself slow down. A couple of times I needed to remind myself that I needed to stay close to the speed limit. At least until I got out of town. The City Marshall is a good guy and doesn't bother us when we ride. Most of us tend to keep things under control while we're in town. At least the resident riders do.
As i got close to the foot of the mountain I was seriously trying to think of a way to justify being bad late for work. Since I really couldn't think of anything I decided on the next best thing. I headed down Habberton to make a run over to 412. baring getting behind accident or a school bus I'd be at work right on the dot.
Clearing the city limits I opened the old bike up and made a pretty quick run through the curves along the lake. before I knew it I was coming up on 412. Turning back west I fell in behind some trucks that were running along pretty good. I stayed back behind them just enough to keep out of their back draft and not be bounced around. Coming across the white river bridge I noticed that I was running 75 mph and the trucks were pulling away from me like I was pushing my bike instead of riding it. I would estimate their speed at around 100. Thinking things over I slowed down to about 60 and figured I'd see either a truck wreck or a Trooper writing a ticket before I got to work.
I rolled through Nob Hill and Senora and the local morning traffic started picking up. As we eased into one of the last curves coming into town I saw blue lights up ahead of me. Thinking that those trucks had been nailed I slowed a little and got over into the inside lane.As I went by i was surprised. Troopers had a car pulled over. No trucks anywhere in sight. Looks like they got by with out getting caught. Lucky.
Pulling back into the outside lane as I started into town I had to slow down for the side road traffic. It's easier to just slow down most times at this hour than to try and change lanes for my turn off. Traffic is so heavy at times with people running late for work that I've been pushed passed my turn off and had to go turn around and try it again. Mornings like this have shown me what a ball in a pinball machine feels like. Every other car is a flipper and every other one is a bumper and there is a drunk playing.
Today was actually pretty good and I managed to get to work in one chunk and I was actually two minutes early. It was only about 25 miles but it was fun. Now I'm wondering which way to head home.
Hope to see ya on the road.

No comments: