Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Food

I have been on a sort of vacation since Christmas day. Spending my time working on some new back strengthening exercises. I haven't ridden much in the way of distance. Mostly just down to the local gas station and back. Just enough to move the oil around.

Yesterday had been warm and I got out and managed to develop a sinus infection. I had a really lousy night and today felt like death warmed over. Today was also another warm one and I decided to take a ride. Hoping that the fresh air and the antibiotics would knock the infection. I had saw a couple of bikes go by and they didn't look as if they were freezing so I though I'd risk it and make a quick 20 or thirty miles. I stopped at the one stop and topped off the tank and headed across Blue Springs Road to to Highway 412. Blue Springs Road is a lot of fun if your one of those that like riding the curves. There aren't many of them so to speak, but they are fun.

After hitting 412 I headed east and run toward Hindsville and then on over to Huntsville. Making the loop through Huntsville and back out to 412 I figured that that was enough and headed back toward home. Traffic was light around the area and the spot that I refer to as the Huntsville Bypass was coming up pretty quick. This is the place that I like to road test my rides when I get them. Nice long semi straight dip in the road. Great for getting up to top speed quickly. Also this is one of the places that Troopers run Radar in. I was making pretty good time even though I was keeping my speed down in anticipation of a trooper I had some luck and I made it in with a pack of cars that seemed to be content with slow lazy driving.
For the next 12 miles or so I just sat back and relaxed and enjoyed the sunshine. It was a little cool in the shady spots and it made the warm air pockets and coming back into the sunshine all the more nice.
After I got off Highway 412 and back on to 45 I opened up again a little and eased on back towards the house. Just outside of the Mayfield community I came up behind a Roadking with a couple on it going really slow. As we came up to the old Mayfield store we both pulled over and I asked if they were having trouble. No trouble. They had been discussing getting something to eat and had just slowed down as they were talking. We visited a few minutes and I found out that they were Don and Helen from over by Harrison. As we were talking the subject of food came up again and as I noticed that they were about my age I recommended that they try Penguin Ed's. After explaining what kind of place and how, from where they were now, easy it was to get to, they said they'd think about it. They had a place in mind that they had eat at before and were kind of looking forward to eating there again.
We pulled back on the road and took off. I got up to speed and made the last few miles back to the house with enough time to shut mine off and hear them going through town. Yep, they were going slow and looking things over.
Back at the house I tinkered with a couple of small projects that I have been designing and then it hit me...Hey! I'm hungry. Looking around for something to eat just seemed to make it worse as nothing looked good to me. Finally it dawned on me that my sales pitch earlier for Penguin Ed"s had made me hungry for an Ed's meal. Well, it has always been my experience that you cant fight some things. death, taxes and the call of really good food, I made up my mind and went back out and looked at my bike and then looked at my car. I had finally managed to get tags and insurance on my "hover round" and thought that I really should put a few miles on it to get it back into shape. I was going to drive to work in bad weather and all that. Then another of those "lightning Bolt thoughts" came to me. It wasn't bad weather and I crawled back on my bike.
The trip down to Ed's was nice as the temperature was still up in the high 50's. as I pulled in the lot was almost empty and parked next to the door. Makes for an easier getaway when one has over eaten if you don't have to walk across the lot. While ordering I explained about the couple from the road and asked Ellen if they had been in to eat. She said "kinda sorta". They had come in and looked things over and said that they had already eaten but the place was so well recommended that they thought they'd stop in and see where it was for another time. Ellen said that they stood around looking at the menu and everything and as they were leaving came back and made an order to go. Saying something about dinner later.
I got my food and sat back to eat and thought about how the days ride had gone and hoped that sinus infection had been chased away and thought about how I need to run over to Harrison and see what they have for eating places. It's only about 80 miles over there. That would make for a quick trip on those days when I was hungry and wanting a short ride.
Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: