Saturday, December 27, 2008

More of the last few days

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and I managed to spend it with my mom and family.

We had a great time. My sister and nephew came up from Texas and spent the week. I had planned to spend the night and head out the next morning. Sometimes the best plans get revamped. I ended up staying most of the week and just visiting and relaxing. It was a good time.
Toward the end of the week when I was thinking about heading back home we got a light dusting of snow and the temperature dropped and with my luck holding it's usual course the roads iced up. I ride a lot, in all kinds of weather. I draw the line at ice. as a result I ended up staying an extra day and finally had to have my brother take me back home.
At home everything had pretty much melted and gone. The roads were all dry and it was just cold.
I have another ride stored at a friends garage and so I headed there. I needed transportation and with my car out of license and insurance, well I went and began the process of un winterizing the bike. The bike was a 1978 KZ 650 that my wife used to ride. It's a sweet machine. Mostly stock. Looking it over I tried to remember if there was anything wrong with it since it had been several months since it was ridden last. The only thing that came to mind was the speedometer cable. It wasn't working and that mean you couldn't tell how fast you were going. Not a biggie as I mostly ride by feel. It turned out that the battery was shot as well and would only hold enough charge to run the lights for a few minutes. Again, not a biggie. It has a kick starter. So, some fresh gas and the kicking began. After several kicks and the general movement of oil I got some starting fluid and it fired up on the third kick. This bike has always been cold natured and took several minutes to warm up. Today was no exception. Once I had it warmed up I pulled out for a shakedown run to see if would be dependable. About 20 miles down the road all was looking good and I headed to the house to get ready for the next day and settle in for the night.
The morning temp was around 39 and after a little kicking I was mobile again. Riding to work was nice and clear. The air was coldly fresh and I had a great ride in.
The folks at work that ride didn't try it so I was still the title holder. How ever, as the morning wore on I did see some of the regulars buzz by so I wasn't the only one.
When quitting time came I pulled out and made a detour to the Pizza place to have dinner with the boy and some of his friends and then fast trip home. It was cooling down real quick.
Today was a good riding day. I had a blast even though my bones, especially my back was telling me that I shouldn't be doing this.
Hope the week goes by quick. My butt cant take this soft ride.
Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: