Friday, December 26, 2008

Last few days. (part one of several)


Well, I thought I put down a few lines today as I'm finally back at a computer for more than just a few minutes.

I had been planning a last trip of the year back around Thanksgiving and was looking to get in around six hundred miles. But things don't always go as planned. Thanksgiving morning I loaded up the bike and started backing around to head down the drive way when I noticed that my front tire was flat. This was not a good thing. I had promised my mother and all the rest of my family that I would be there for dinner with them. The weather was good and I was all loaded, on time even. Looking over the tire I couldn't see anything that would cause a flat, like a nail or whatever, so I pondered and decided that I had hopefully lost the air due to the cold weather we had been having. Now what to do to get it aired back up. Thinking that I might limp the quarter mile to the station I started down the drive. After about 30 feet I realized that this wasn't going to get it and I looked at my air tank and as usual it was empty. Wondering who I could call at this hour to haul me to the station I noticed my car. Now my car is one of my pride and joys. Always setting there looking regal. Sure, I'd just hop in the car, haul the tank to the station and get some air.
Now here is where the fun begins. My car hasn't been driven in probably two years. I wasn't even sure where the keys were. But it was a shot. Besides that's what we all keep a car around for, isn't it? Emergencies. This, I'm fairly sure qualified as an emergency.
After finding the key and loading the tank up I was struck with the thought, "2 years, wonder if it'll start?" Yep! my "hover round" fired right up. I let it warm up a little and bounced down the drive. This was too cool. A feeling I always get when I drive my little car. Kind of like being about 12 or thirteen and tearing around the country on a go cart. Anyway, I made it to the store and opened the back hatch. Turning to get the air hose and put the money in the machine and being in a hurry I didn't notice that the hatch wasn't all the way open and walked into the corner of it. tearing a gash about an inch long in the top of my head. After stopping the bleeding and inspecting the damage I finally got some air and headed back to the house.
Thinking that this was starting out to be an absolute golden day I put the air in the tire. I half way expected that I'd hear air hissing out but I didn't and I still couldn't find any thing that would cause a flat. After some more thought I remembered that I had ridden the day before and the night didn't really get all that cold. This started to concern me. I started to think from all appearances that someone had let the air out of my tire. Who and why would have to wait till I got back. It did look a lot like the air had been let out.
I gave the tire about ten minutes or so as I called mom and told her what was going on and to send the Marines if I didn't get there in a reasonable amount of time.
Heading down the drive I got that old familiar feeling of tearing loose. Dropping into gear I eased out and since it was Thanksgiving morning the traffic was next to non existent. When I got on the highway it was like I was all alone. There must have been a total of two or three cars for about 20 miles. Man it was sweet. If I'd known ahead of time I'd have really shown my hinie... As it was I hit a groove at about 70 mph and just floated along. All the way to the Highway 21 turnoff I kept thinking that any minute now the traffic will pick up and this little day dream will come to an end. It never did and I am still amazed. From highway 412 through Kingston there was light local traffic. After Kingston there wasn't a single vehicle for 37 miles. If you ride you'll understand what this is like. You can almost stop worrying and really get into the ride. In the Northwest Arkansas area you hardly ever get to do this and when you do, well it's hard to describe. Lets just say it's GREAT!!

Coming off the mountain into the Boxley valley I decided to take a look around for the Elk and rode over as far as Lost Valley. Apparently the Elk weren't interested in being seen and that ruled out and photos.

Running back through the valley I let the hammer down and really blew out the cob webs. All loaded down the old gal still hit the high marks without too much strain. I backed off after a few minutes of over 100. I woke up and realized that I was running out of road and remembered the curve at the foot of the mountain heading back up. I had a pretty good load on and climbing the mountain was a lot of fun. With the extra weight I could seem to really lay into the curves and it felt like the bike had a real grip on the road. I made really good time going up. Actually better than the last time I was through there. (ahhh the little things)

As I rolled past the US Forest Service Boundary sign on Highway 21 I developed a chug. It was like I was out of gas. I had gassed up the night before and so the only thing I could figure is I had some water in the gas. I chugged along for three or four miles and it worked it's self out. I didn't have any more problems with it so I'm pretty sure that it was water. The stations around my area seem to be having water in their gas quite often. Might have even be that that new "corn squeezin gas stuff". The pumps all have a little sign saying that there is a certain percentage of it in the gas and lots of people have been saying that their bikes don't run too well on it. I hadn't had any problems with it yet. But that could have been my trouble.

At the Junction of Highways 16 & 21 I stopped and looked down the Valley. Someone has logged out that spot across the road at the intersection and with all the leaves off it's quite a view. I poured a cup of coffee and just looked it over. I had always been in too much of a hurry in the past and now that there wasn't any traffic or anything to get in my way, I just sat there in the middle of the road and drank my coffee and looked everything over like I owned the place.

Jumping on the starter the old gal fired up about half way through the kick and as I toed into gear I made a note to myself to next time bring a tripod and get a real good shot of the valley.

Running down 16 toward Deer I saw several Deer off on the side of the road and several Hound Dogs just out looking things over as Hound Dogs are known to do. That always makes for me a better ride. It's kind of like everything is OK.

Pulling into Mom's place I gave my prayer of thanks for a great ride and headed in to the "Groceries".
This mornings ride was a good one. One of those you rarely get to have. Hopefully tomorrows will be as good.

No comments: