Monday, August 16, 2010

365 Group (f)

8/15/10

Today I managed to get in around 30 miles just running errands locally. The heat wave that has hit the country makes it uncomfortable to ride anywhere.
In between my little local stuff I managed to get my Clementine out to the “Vet”. Hope that in a few days the weather will have broken and I can get out for a road test on her. It’s been nearly two years since she and I tore up the road and I’m kind of getting a “bigger bore” riding itch.
I have a couple of “scout” rides of places that the “ustawaz” and I had planned on riding to before she became a ustawaz. Just as soon as the temps drop some I hope to roll to a couple of them. Also, I’m hoping that will be before I go loopy from the AC. Conditioned air is good, but I seem to have a better tolerance for the fragrance of nature.
While riding today I had several people look over my old bike. That always tickles me. For one they cant believe how old it is and that its still running or that you can ride it with having to stop at every carwash you come to. The kick starter always impresses people. Mostly, its younger sport bike riders that give me the biggest chuckle. Especially when I get it across to them that there is more to riding than going fast. I tried to explain that this bike is a Japanese rip off of the English Twins from the 40’s through the early 70’s. Usually I have to say something like “Google British Motorcycles”. That seems to make sense to most of them. Today, I had one kid ask, due to my age and my old bike I’m sure, if I ever road with any of the famous clubs. Me, being me, couldn’t resist. “Yes, I rode with the Goshen Rat Riders”. “I’m a founding member, current officer and all around member in good standing”. He seemed to ponder it over a minute and then acted like he knew who the GRR were and seemed all impressed. I’m still chuckling about that one. (I’m sure that since there are only two of us, my one and only Rat rider brother Luther will find it amusing as well.)
Speaking of Luther. Since the bottom has fallen out of my world these last few months he has been the greatest friend and biggest help to me. He is a true friend and I thank God daily for him.

I met a young lady at a White Oak while I was gasing up that had actually read some of my stuff on Blogspot. She pointed out that I needed more pictures in my work to be a real “Blogger”. Seems all her friends blogs are all pictures. As a result of this informed conversation with an expert thirty five years my junior. I have decided that I don’t too much care for the term “Blogger” , as apparently I’m too old for the position, so I done some real mind bending thinking and come up with this…if John Wayne was a “Shootest”, well pilgrim, I think that makes me a “Blogest”. I believe that way it will make it easier for people, like they lady at the White Oak gas station, to understand why my stuff isn’t all modern cell phone pictures like someone they knows blog. Mine is an attempt to write about a particular subject. I think pictures should enhance what you have to say, not be all encompassing. I’m not knocking any ones work on a blog or whatever they want to call it, everybody needs to do there own thing. People either get your stuff or they don’t.
Tomorrow is at least a decent ride into work in the morning. Before the heat comes up its really nice to burn up a few morning miles. Especially if you can get out before the “heading to work crowd.” Its sort of licensed lunacy if you don’t. But still its fun. So I have that to look forward to as I put the finishing touches on today.

Catch ya on the road

1 comment:

manthano said...

It is amazing that more people
don't understand the joy of a rat
bike. That may be the fault of
all the hype from the manufacturers.
But then, that makes a rat bike even
more special.

Keep it up.