Saturday, August 7, 2010

8/7/10 Piled up

365 group (f)
I piled mine up on the road today


Yesterday I was out of the picture most of the day due to health complications. Spending a good riding day in bed just sort of sucks.

I did managed to get out later in the day and headed to the grocery store. It was starting to cool a bit. Just for grins and giggles I hit the electric starter and the old gal fired up. I was amazed since the starter hadn’t worked in years. One of those pesky little things I’ve been meaning to get to. But hey, the kicker works and at the time this was my back up ride, so it really wasn’t pressing. The traffic was light and as I got up to speed I actually started to feel a bit better.
Even under the weather the ten miles to the store was really a quick ride. By the time I got there I was feeling good enough to think about tacking on a few extra miles.
I did my “Chicken Soup” shopping and headed back out. It hit me how bad off I was when I went to jump on the kick starter.
I decided against tacking on a few miles and headed back to the house. It was a good easy ride back to the house. Almost…
Pulling to my drive I managed to do everything wrong as best I can tell. I managed to hit a large bed rock that as far as I can remember had never been unfriendly toward me in the past. Once I hit the rock the front tire bounced and the frame slammed the rock then I slammed the ground. That in itself wasn’t such a bad thing for me or the bike as far as any major damage. Kind of like one of those low speed “parking lot” or turning around “off balance drops”, embarrassing, more than anything else. Really embarrassing since I didn’t have the strength to pick it back up. I was about a hundred feet or so from my normal parking spot. Yep, really embarrassing.
I called a close friend and got the old gal righted. Looking it over and thinking I’d need to let it set for a while before I tried starting it, I walked to the house and called it a day. (if I was lucky someone would drive by and steal it)
This morning I got out late after the meds took hold. (the bike was still there, guess I’m not all that lucky.) I fired up and brought it on to the house to do damage assessment. Not too bad. Cracked signal light lens, bent cruse peg. I headed up to the shop and with a little help hammered it all back together.
Now I’m heading out for another med run and repair shake down. Little luck and it’ll all hold together.
Catch ya on the road

1 comment:

Learning to Golf said...

Sure glad the report wasn't worse. Hope you feel better soon.