Saturday, August 28, 2010

Old Friends

365 Group (f)
Just ridin around


These last couple of mornings have been on the real cool side . Low to mid sixties as I head out to work. Compared to leaving out in the high seventies where within a few miles your riding in the 80’s and 90’s, they are keepers.
The triple digit days have been killer with the humidity . Just sitting at a traffic light hurt.
8/27/10
I pulled out for work wearing an extra wind breaker and some gloves. With the lower temperatures welcome they do seem play hell with the Arthritis.
It was going to be a short day today and I headed in a little early with my plan being to get payroll over with as soon as possible and make the day even shorter. I was heading down to the Pig Trail for a quick ride down to Ozark to meet a friend that was riding through on 40.
Finally work was over and I headed out. I made good time at that hour running across the city to Hwy 16. Once I got on Hwy 16 I rolled out to Elkins and even managed to make it through town with out getting stopped. Once out of Elkins I opened up and really enjoyed the ride over to Hwy 23.
I really enjoy this ride through this area. Especially the Pig Trail. Some of the best riding in my area with the tight curves on the mountain. Today was exceptionally good as there wasn’t any real traffic this early in the day.
I made good time down to Ozark and only had to wait about forty five minutes on Matt. Matt and I have known each other for a bunch of years. It had been a couple of years since we’d been able to get together so this trip worked out really well. He was taking part of the summer traveling the country, blacking out a few more states on the map.
I was into my third cup of time killing coffee when I herd a low rumble coming up the access road to the Gas station. Matt pulled up on a big new shiny Yamaha Road liner or whatever their biggest model is called. He had a million dollar grin on his face and what looked like everything you could imagine tied on the bike. The first thought that came to my mind was, “son…why didn’t you just rent an RV?” He laughed and said “I did give it some thought.” Turned out it was all camping gear as he’d been hitting the campgrounds instead of motels.
We gassed up and rolled up to the square to a little café that usually has good food and spent the next couple of hours catching up.
Finally it was time to get out and walk around some and we headed out to the bikes. Matt was in rare form saying “hey isn’t that the bike you had in high school?” I had to counter with “what’s it like running all over the country in a Winnebago pretending to be a biker?” We both busted up laughing and I think we gave the small town cop cause to give us a second look.
Matt was planning on making some campground around Memphis by evening so it was time to head out. I told him that since I was older now days I had more compassion for people than I used to. Due to this fact I was prepared to ride along with him for a few miles and class up his act. Just in case anyone saw him. I also pointed out that I hadn’t saw anyone as in need of “classin up” as bad as he was in years. He got an all serious look on his face and dropped his voice an octave and said “ hey, will that thing run interstate speed?”
We pulled out on 40 and headed toward Russellville. It was like we were kids again. We played chase for several miles and just had a blast.
Finally we settled into a seventy MPH sweet spot and just cursed along.

At the Hwy 7 exit we pulled in at a gas station to top off and say goodbye. Matt And I talked a bit over a cup of coffee and he said he was thinking about coming to the Bikes, Blues & Barbeque Rally at the end of the month. I kicked over the bike and told him he had a place to stay if he made it and pulled out on to Hwy 7 and headed North.
The ride up 7 was a good one as always. Crooked and steep and made for a bike.
I finally rolled into the house as the sun was just down. Matt made his campground about the same time.

I got in about 430 miles give or take a few. Got to spend some time with and old friend and generally had one of the best days I’ve had this summer.

Catch ya on the road

No comments: