Monday, April 21, 2008

First trip of the year


Proud member of the 365 group

(I rode mine today)



I took my first trip of this year this past week. I had a doctors appointment in a couple of nearby towns so I combined them and made one three day trip.

The weather was perfect for riding, although I didn't see any other bikes on the road. Lightly cool when I started out and turned to down right warm as the days wore on.

My first stop was Harrison. About 80 miles down hwy 412. Over the last couple of years this stretch of road had been under construction and was slow in places. Now it's mostly back to normal and I made good time. (About an hour and a half.) While I was in Harrison I met some people that said they were riders and had a lot of questions about Bikes, Blues & Bar B Que. I tend to get that alot. People all over seem to be interested in B,B&BBQ. I have developed a standard answer for them when they ask about the different attractions. I tell them, "You need to come and see". B,B&BBQ has steadily gotten bigger each year in all areas from food to manufacturers and is worth getting out to see.

After my Doctor visit in Harrison I pulled out for Conway down hwy 65 and just got lost in the ride. Hwy 65 is kind of fast paced like it wants to grow up and be an interstate or something. Lots of traffic and not too much road work going on. It was a nice ride and I made good time for just taking my time. I managed to get through with the Doctor by about 2pm and went out to grab something to eat a Sonic. Now a sonic drive in on a motorcycle is a sure fire grin producer. The girl that brought my burger out said that I was the first bike she had ever waited on. While I was munching my burger a group of younger local guys drove by slowly and finally circled and started asking questions about my "Dodge". All of them said that they owned bikes, mostly Harley's and although I didn't ask, had reasons why they weren't riding. One of the main questions I hear about my bike is "how old is it"? When I tell folks that it's 31 years old they kind of take another look at it. Usually that is followed by "you rode that all that way"? Then usually all kinds of questions about wasn't I worried break downs and how does it run. Most people now a days only know of the newer sport bikes and the chopper type V twins. Most are younger and weren't around when this model was the sport bike of the day. It does tickle me to see their reactions when they see an old 70's bobber style beater that's still running strong.

I pulled out of Conway and headed back up 65 in a lazy fashion. The evening was warm and I was headed over to my place in Deer to spend the night. Everything felt good as I buzzed up the road. The rest of my trip over to Deer was the kind of ride you always hope for. Just a comfortable uneventful ride. This is the perfect time of year to be getting out and taking trips, long or short. I highly recommend it.

All total I got in almost 400 miles and had a blast.

Hope to see ya on the road.

No comments: