Sunday, May 25, 2008

Close call and a good weekend.

This weekend has been a good one.
It's a holiday weekend and so everyone on the road is nuts more than usual. Every where that I have gone I see it, they are nuts behind the wheel! I had a woman pull out in front of me at Oakland-Zion road. I started heading for the ditch and she finally saw me and swerved before I had to lay it down. (Bad close this time) She saw my wife on her bike and let her go by then just pulled out on top of me.
(Saturday)
I finally gave up and took my bike to the shop and took off the carburetors off and went through them with a pipe cleaner. I made an amazing discovery in one of them. A spider had made a nest in one of the ports for an air jet. I wouldn't have thought it possible but there it was. I really gave them a scrubbing and did all I could without rebuilding them. I told Luther that I was hoping for Divine intervention as I was at my end with them. As a result I fully believe that God intervened and put me back in a better shape. My bike is now almost back to a normal running and a much better rate of gas consumption. It even seems to ride a little less rough which makes sense. I got out after getting it all back together and put a few local miles on it to see how it was going to hold up and I'm really liking how it's running. A trip now seems in order.
(Sunday)
My wife left early to go to church and I just bummed around and tinkered with her ride and finally gave up to the fact that it needs a new battery. I had hopped that we could save it but it's apparent that we cant. It wont turn the engine over at all. You can still kick it and start it and it will run everything while your running but that's about all the battery has left. So that's next on my to do list.
We managed to do a couple of local trips this afternoon. We road down to Penguin Ed's for a bite of lunch and as we were leaving noticed a storm coming up. It looked like we would make it home without getting wet so we headed out. Man, did I misjudge. About half way it started to come down and since neither of us had brought any rain gear it seemed to beat into my hide like rocks. About a mile or two into the rain it started hailing and let me tell you a Tee shirt is no protection. The hail didn't last but the rain was hard and fast and I managed to get it under my glasses and reached a point where I literally couldn't see. I pointed to the side and jumped off the road at the first of the twin bridges and managed to make it under the bridge without crashing. The safety glasses I wear don't seal well at the top and without a helmet I had water running in. I got my helmet on and cinched my glasses down as tight as I could and headed back out. The rain had let up a little and completely stopped by the time I turned off Hwy 45. I went on up to the house and found that my wife had made it OK. Soaked to the bone and red whelps from the hail but otherwise OK.
A little later I asked my wife if she felt like another "adventure". I mean the rain was over. The sun was out and It was too nice not to ride as much as you could. We ended up just going to Harps and the "green-weenie" wal-mart. It was fun to ride with her again. Almost like old times.
I hope to have the strength next weekend for a trip. Just pack up and take off for a day or two and see where I end up. I really miss traveling.
...Hope to see ya on the road.

No comments: