Sunday, May 4, 2008

Going back in time.

I had another Doctor appointment this weekend and it was great weather for a ride down. After several false starts I finally got into the right groove and it was great! I hit hwy 45 running hard and didn't let up until I got to the new curve the Highway department put in US 412 out buy Hindsville. One of the few straight parts of Arkansas roads and they go and put curve and stop sign in it. As some say "your tax dollars at work".
The traffic for late morning on a Friday was terrible. Reminded me of the traffic on game day at the university. It did thin out after I got passed Huntsville.
The trip over the mountain was better than the one last week. Everything is so much greener and looks so much more alive. I found myself just scooting along in no particular hurry. Just enjoying everything.
The Doctor said his usual and drew off another quart of blood and said I'll see ya.
I headed out for moms still in a pretty good mood. The ride out to moms place was just about as uneventful as one could be and was over before I really knew it.
I had planned on getting an early start back but for some reason I over slept badly and it just didn't happen. When I did get on the road I made a gas stop at Claiborn's grocery at Deer and met two young guys on rolling antiques. Mint condition middle 70's Honda's. A 550 Four and a F model 750. It was an oddity. These guys looked like they were more the sport bike type. But in talking with them it was clear that they had a certain feel for these old rides. It was so nice to chat with them that I killed even more time and made my day even later than I had planned. They were from Chicago and were trying to travel as much of the area as they could in a day. I showed them a couple of places on the map and explained the area some. As they rode off I found myself wishing I was able to go with them, remembering back to my early riding days on my old Honda "Four", Apes and baffles drilled out. Taking off and seeing how much country I could cram into a Saturday. Those early Honda's seemed to go the distance without any problem and even the major breakdowns seemed to be minor at the time. They had it all. Big,bulky and a good mid range speed that was all you really needed. (Ahhhh to go back) I really enjoyed meeting those guys and especially seeing those bikes being ridden the way they were made to be ridden.
My ride back up was a real good one. The weather was warmer and it just sorta clicked along. I met a few bikes and even stopped to take a coffee break (actually a pain pill break) on the Boxily Mountain.
As I was setting beside the road a couple of noisy newbies came flying by and waved real big. I packed up and started out and managed to catch up to them in about 10 minutes. I trailed them into Kingston and noticed how cool they were trying to look as they circled the square. Making lots of noise and putting on a good show.
The rest of my trip this week was just an average ride.
Next weekend is one of the charity poker runs we ride. The wife seems all up for it. Hope it's a good one.
Thanks Chris and Tom. Memories are worth a fortune and you guys showed me that I'm rich.

No comments: