Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Gandson

365 Group


Yesterday was the day the family decided to take me out for my birthday.

The plan was to meet after work and have dinner. With the job lately getting in my way I have been having to drive my car. Junk to haul and all that. Anyway, I started to the restaurant after work and developed a serious pulling in the front end of my car. So, since I had about an hour to kill, I headed it towards the house and the thought of getting it at least close to home if it quit me.
I made it home and decided that I'd ride over to the dinner and would only be a little late.
As it was cooler today than it had been the past few days I went and let the pups out and put on some more clothes. The pups finally came back and I got started.
It really wasn't all that bad once I got going. A little windy in places but mostly comfortable.
It was a good ride. even in all the after work traffic around town. I made better time than I thought. I got to the restaurant ahead of everyone else. So, since I had been good enough to send messages telling everyone that I would be late, I was just as good in sending messages asking everyone where they were and how long I was going to have to wait on them.
Everyone finally got there, my wife and daughters and especially my 3 year old grandson, and we all went in and got a table. We were at the Golden Corral in Johnson. Normally this place is packed with people. Today it wasn't too bad. The food was even fresh as if they were preparing for a large rush.
As we ate and talked my grandson was being a typical 3 year old boy. This was by far the best part of the whole birthday thing. He was wound up!! Couldn't set still for anything. The look on my oldest daughters face every time he done something was absolutely PRICELESS. He fidgeted, fussed, pointed out on several occasions where the dessert was, ran around all over the place and finally capped off the meal by spilling his mommas water all over the place.
A lot of things came to mind as I sat there and tried to act like he was getting on my nerves and grumpy and all that. The truth of the matter was, it was all I could do to keep from "egging" him on. The the tired old cliche kept crossing my mind "what goes around comes around".
Finally, like all good things it came to an end and we all got up to leave.
Outside the temperature had dropped and it felt like it was about thirty degrees. That put the wind chill on my ride home at "pretty darn cool". But as I got out my snowmobile suit and put it on, I thought, ... it was worth it. The little man made this by far one of the best birthdays I've ever had. I even had a decent ride home.
Getting old isn't such a bad thing.
Hope to catch ya on the road

No comments: