Saturday, March 28, 2009

Down time

365 Group




This weekend has turned off cold, wet and the possibility of slick. Winter weather warnings abound.
I had planned a get away for this weekend to do some riding,visiting and check road conditions. But with that knocked out of the picture, I figured to do a little maintenance on my main ride. I made a fast trip to the parts house and grabbed the smaller things like fuel filters and plugs. The rain/snow was really spitting and the thermometer said it was 36 degrees. I made it back to the house just in time as it was really coming down as I pulled into the driveway.
Since I'm by myself I made an executive decision and spent the day running in and out. Run out change a plug, run back in, drink a cup of coffee and warm up. Run back out and change a fuel filter and so on till I had the little stuff done. Taking a break I noticed that the pups were watching me intently. I think they were worried that I was going to make them go out in this weather mess. I wooled them around a little and let them know that I wasn't going to put them out till they needed to go. That seemed to make them happy and they burrowed back under the blankest and headed back to snooze ville.
Now that I had the little stuff taken care of I went back to my list of things that I save for days like this. My next project was reworking a pair of saddle bags to make them easy to put on and take off. I normally don't like to have things like saddle bags on my bike. I have always looked at it like if you cant tie it on you need to be driving a car. How ever... As I get older I'm running into situations where I have a need to carry a few things that I pick up along the way. These saddle bags aren't all that big and will enable me to not have to unpack and repack each time I find something that I want that's breakable. Anyway, I figured out a quick mount for them and modifying. After I finished I ran out and hooked them up and was fairly pleased with my efforts.
I really wont be able to tell if they'll do until it warms up some and I can road test them for a couple of hundred miles. One thing. They really do change the look of the bike.
Next on my list is a detachable passenger seat/carry rack. I found a small seat a few days ago and now that it's too wet and cold to do anything else, I started measuring on the mounting bracket. Sometimes I think about how much better it would be if I had a shop to tinker in. Days like today wouldnt be so bad. But then I think about it and I really am having fun.

Hoping the weather hurries and warms so I can catch ya on the road.

No comments: