Thursday, April 2, 2009

Running the back roads

365 GROUP

NOTE I am adding to this as I go along. Hopefully it will be finished Sunday evening.

The weather for this first week in April is on again, off again. Cool, rainy and warm. I had been trying to get away for some time now that the weather had started to warm. Today seemed like a good day as it was fifty six degrees when I got up. I made a fast phone call to work and took the day off.
Looking out at my ride and the clear morning I started packing a few things to take with me. My Rain Gear, Sleeping bag, laptop and light camping equipment. I even packed a flask of Crown Royal just in case of Snake bite.
Strapping everything on as my pups ran around terrorizing everything in sight I thought about how much fun it would be to take them with me on one of these trips. Then I remembered that they don’t do well with a motorcycle in any way. If they have to have anymore contact than running around and barking and sniffing with a bike they seem to would rather stay in the house. But still, it would be fun to have them along.
With everything tied on I headed back to the house to fill my small thermos with coffee and “wool” the pups around one more time before I go. They know the drill and milk being outside for as long as they can. They are quite the “vermin”.
Heading down the drive way I figure to top off my tank then head east toward Harrison, Jasper and maybe on down to Russellville to spend the night.
After topping off I look toward the East and all the over cast sky and pull out on Highway 45.
Traffic was light as I rode along in the morning cool. I figure that I timed it just right and missed the morning going to work and school crowds. Jumping onto Highway 412 I fell in with some traffic and made good time
Before I knew it I was coming into Marble. Marble is a mandatory stop for me on any run. They make some killer hush puppies and I always grab about a dozen to snack on.
After about a half dozen hot hush puppies and a couple of cups of coffee I was ready to hit the road again. Pulling on to 412 I made a snap change in plans and decided to head down 21 and go across to 16 and down to Clarksville. I hadn't been this way in a while and thought it would be nice to just ride the back roads and dodge deer for a while.
So far the trip was a nice smooth ride. I only hit rain once, as I was coming out of Kingston, and it was light and short lived. The run through the Boxley Valley was, as always, way too short.
I was hoping to make it to Fallsville and have a cup of coffee and if the store is open top off my tank. The store didn't look like it was open so I poured a cup of coffee and just sort of relaxed. It's nice to just set along the road for about half an hour and not see a single vehicle of any kind. A far contrast to the Springdale area.
After the coffee I jumped on the starter,fired up and hit the road again.

Hope to catch ya on the road

No comments: