Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday morning

This morning was cold and windy. Worse than yesterday. 30 degrees and the wind felt like it was twice as hard.

Having a bad back makes me just want to stay in a hot shower on cold mornings. However, bills still gotta be paid. With that in mind I suited up for another cool morning. The bike started on the first kick. As it was warming up I debated using my cold weather face mask. The mask works great for a cheapy. The only real problem with it on days like today is having to take it off everywhere I stop. Since a local bank was robbed by someone wearing a full face helmet, people get jumpy if your riding and they cant see your face. I opted for a long scarf.

I pulled around in the drive and headed down to the street to get in the morning traffic flow. This morning there wasn't any traffic to speak of, so that meant, due to over sleeping, there would be some lunatics on the road coming along behind me. With that in mind I hammered down to the Highway and the once on the highway I really let the hammer down. It's only a four mile run to where I get off the highway but I've had late running next door neighbors run right up mu backside on this stretch. Once I got about a half mile of pavement between me and the bridges I eased up and hit my groove for the rest of the run to my turn off.

Once I got off the highway and on to Habberton it was pretty much just me on the road. The cool seemed to be a little less as the sun broke out and it was just fun to ride.

I made pretty good time around Habberton and Guy Terry Road all the way to Butterfield Coach which was a let down of sorts. That few miles has some of the best dips and curves around. Perfect for riding. On Butterfield traffic really started picking up. Vehicles were coming in clusters of five and six at a time and moving quick. That old "pinball" feeling started up again as I got closer to the first traffic light. It's funny but it seems that when I ride I can always tell when people are running late. I made good time coming up Robinson to work. The lights were with me.

As I slid in to work I asked the Guard if anyone else had ridden in this morning. He grinned and said "too cold!". Secure in he knowledge that I still have the title, I headed in to watch the clock for eight hours till I can do it again.

Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: