Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 19, 2009

365 Group



Today started out stormy and lots of rain.
When the weather finally broke I decided to ride down to the grocery store and pick up a few things for lunch for the coming work week. I grabbed my rain gear and headed to the bike, It was wet but warm and had all the makings of a good quick ride. Turning on the key the starter didn't make a sound. I noticed that I didn't have any lights. Normally I run the daylight with them off except for last night I remembered that I had cut the engine before turning them off.
After about a half dozen kicks I figured that maybe the old girl had given up on me. 32 years old and pretty much regular operation up until now led me to believe that she was just getting broken in.
Thinking things over a little I figured that maybe a battery cable had came off after last nights ride. Checking, I found them to be tight. That left the fuses. I popped off the side cover and searched out the fuse box. Sure enough I had somehow blown the main fuse. Looking it over I figure it was probably the original fuse. A round glass 20 amp job that I really don't think anyone uses any more.
Figuring I could pick one up at the gas station just down the road I clipped the wires together and yep, it fired up. I made a dash down my drive and hit the street in a hurry. I wasn't too sure how long that old wiring would last wired direct and really wasn't in a mood to find out. I got my speed up, shut the motor off and coasted up to the gas station.
Looking through the supply of fuses at the station I found lots of newer blade types and no old style glass ones. Just as I was about to give up I lucked onto several dusty packages of glass fuses. Seeing as how I didn't yet know what was causing the fuse to blow I bought all of them.
I put the new fuse in and fired up. Thinking that this wasn't too bad, that fuses blew, I pulled out and headed on to the grocery store. The bike ran great all the way.
Since I had back up fuses now I decided on a short ride around town to see if anyone of note was riding.
I cris crossed this little metroplex of ours and really didn't find anyone that I knew. I did see several bikes out but they seemed to be in a hurry to get someplace. Also the weather most likely had a lot to do with things. No one wants to be caught riding in the rain in Northwest Arkansas traffic.
After about an hour I noticed the sky getting real dark and figured I had better get my groceries and beat it back to the house. I strapped on all the stuff I bought and I must admit it looked ...interesting. Several people gave it a odd look.
I pulled out for the store and started toward the house just as the sprinkling started. The rain appeared to be coming from behind me so I gave the throttle a twist and did my best to stay ahead of it. I guess you could say I was about 85 % successful. I was wet when I pulled into the drive and parked. I wasn't soaked but I was wet. I unloaded my stuff and covered the bike.
Hopefully this weather will let up some this evening. I have been invited out for Pizza. One thing I have learned about Pizza is it is more enjoyable if your not soaked to the bone.
Hope to catch ya on the road

No comments: