Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cold ( NWA weather)

Today turned off cold compared to the past couple of days. A cold wet feeling wind made it uncomfortable to be out.
I headed out about ten to run down to the Grocery store. While the bike was warming I went back in to get my helmet and I happened to catch the weather channel. 47 degrees. Man it felt a lot colder.
Pulling out on to the pavement I had a gust of wind that felt like a truck had passed me at about seventy. This was such a raw contrast to yesterday that it really took some reminding myself that I had ridden in lots worse.
As I came up to the highway the wind eased a little and I figured that it wouldn't be all that bad. I cranked on the throttle and headed to the store. All along the way the wind would pick up and lay down. I really don't enjoy riding in this kind of weather. Too much like work.
Pulling into the Grocery store I saw a Road King in the lot. Well, at least I wasn't the only one.
I went down to the little deli/cafe they have and got a cheese danish and a cup of really good coffee and started my little dab of shopping.
I never found the Road King rider. It was gone when I came back out.
Packing my junk on the bike the wind was real light and it wasn't too bad out. I fired up and thought since I was already out that I would take a different route back to the house and see if the side roads were as windy. Heading up Old Missouri Road wasn't too bad. There was enough traffic to make you keep your speed down. I hit Old Wire Road and wound my way through the maze of county roads and finally made my was back to Gulley Road. This put me back on the Highway to the house. This time I only had one real bad gust of wind. The rest of the ride was kind of nice.
Along the foot of Slaughter I met a herd of Harley's heading toward Fayetteville. I recognised a couple of them and figured that they had went somewhere for the weekend and got caught by the cooler temperatures. They looked cold.
Pulling back in at the house I noticed that my 14 mile round trip this time was twenty three miles with the back road running that I had done. The wind wasn't as bad coming back and it was actually enjoyable. The way I feel today, I'd really have to think about starting off on a trip today. But, Then again if your heading south ...
Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: