Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Great Day

365 Group


This morning’s ride was great!
The weather warmed up and was forecasted to be in the seventies for today.
I strapped on all the work junk and hit the kick starter. While warming up, I finished a good cup of coffee and had the feeling, that this would good day.
I made it all the way to the highway without seeing a single car or other type of morning crazy. Pulling on to the highway and getting up to speed I felt a very cool wind on the exposed parts of my body. It was kind of a stinging feeling that almost hurt. It was short lived as the Sun came out and took away the morning chill.
My run down the long stretch of Highway 45 was quick. Everything was clicking and before I knew it I was turning off to skirt the mountain.
Running down Habberton Road I noticed several places where it looked like someone had piled into the ditch. I hadn’t seen anything on my way home yesterday so it must have been a busy night.
Turning on to Guy Terry Road I had to almost stop for a pack of hound dogs that were just trotting down the middle of the road. These guys had that lazy arrogant look about them. They finally moved over just enough to let me pass and I started trying to make up a little time. This piece of road is a great morning ride with all its curves and dips. It’s just too short. By the time you get really into it it’s over.
Butterfield Coach this morning was packed with cars and trucks. Most of them were running along at a decent pace. I caught a gap and hammered down having to run about 15 over just to keep out of everyone’s way. Running up to my next turnoff I caught a red light and was able to jump everyone and put a little distance between us.
It was apparent that I had missed the mark this morning and before I knew it I was in bumper to bumper traffic. Inching along I could feel the bike start to heat up. You can always tell by all the vibration and this morning we were “jiggling” right along. After about a quarter mile of stop and go I finally got an opening and was able to move some air across the engine and clean it out.
Pulling into work I saw that a couple of the guys had ridden theirs in and we sat about making plans for a short ride after work. Maybe head out to Eureka Springs for dinner?

It’s funny how quitting time is never early. But it finally showed up. All of us got together in the parking lot to see where to go for dinner. After much discussion we opted for an Oriental place on the south side of Fayetteville.
Traffic was light and we ran down 71 all the way to Sixth Street. On Sixth Street there was some kind of traffic pile up and we ended up “side streeting” around it.
The food was good and as usual everyone seemed to over eat.
Yes. This turned out to be a good day
Hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: