Saturday, July 11, 2009

7/11/09

365 Group (F)


This morning looks like a good start to what will turn out to be a beautiful day.

I tried to get in gear a little earlier this morning. As usual it put me behind. I had intended to go over to the work site and spend the morning working on my buddy's Harley. Hoping to get the little things he needed done finished before it got too hot to fool with.
Pulling out there wasn't any traffic to speak of and I had the thought I can make up the time on the road.
Sure enough, traffic was light and I made up my time. I guess that since it was Friday everyone was sleeping in. I pulled in the drive to work and there was my friends old "Iron Head" setting at the Guard shack. I guess he took me seriously when I told him I wasn't going in to the office.
The Guard poured me a cup of coffee and I started putting on the new brake assembly. It went together pretty well, even though all the parts weren't there. Not a biggie, we'll just have to make a cable end. After making all the adjustments and a list of what we need to finish all he want to do, I called him and passed on what all I was able to do and what he needed to pick up for his forward controls.
We agreed to meet later, after he got off and grab a bite to eat. I pulled out and headed toward the highway. It was early yet and I wanted to get in a few miles before the heat got really up there.
From Springdale I headed East on 412 thinking that I might run into one of the groups of bikes that passed while I was at the Guard Shack. They looked like they were vacationing and maybe headed to Eureka or Branson. Once out of town I opened up and started to eat some miles. Coming into Hindsville I saw a couple of bikes turning toward Eureka. I figured that I'd just tool along and catch up. I finally caught up with the riders I had seen turning off at the intersection, They were from the Rogers area and were heading back to the house from a morning ride. We visited a little and I headed on toward nowhere.
Pulling into Eureka Springs I stopped at the intersection. Holding up traffic a little I flipped a quarter and headed west. The rest of my ride was kind of a blur. I got into a good cruse and before I knew it I was coming out of Missouri and heading toward Rogers. I like rides like that. Comfortable.
I stopped in Rogers at a gas station and topped off. Several bikes were out and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves in spite of the heat and humidity. After gassing up I pulled out and fell in with a bunch of Harley's heading over to Pig Trail Harley. Guess they needed a reboot on their computers. Creeping along in traffic I finally made it down to I 540. Thinking that it had been a few days since I had really opened up and ran the bike I pulled on and headed back to Fayetteville. Hanging in the left lane I opened up and ran through the gears till I hit a hundred. Backing off a little I cruised along just letting the engine breathe. As I came up on the State Weigh Station I noticed a Trooper setting in the driveway. Backing off the throttle, figuring he had me, I started looking to get over to be pulled over. Just as I leaned into the right lane I was passed by a couple of real fast blurs. A couple of Sport bikes running well over 100 mph. I would guess them to be closer to 130. The way the Trooper jumped out after them I don't think he had even saw me. Here I was about ready to surrender and throw myself on somebodies Mercy and he hadn't even noticed me. I kept things down to close to the posted speed and got off at my exit. Don't know if he ever caught up to the Sport bikes. I do know that they were really moving and that I was relieved he didn't catch me.
I picked my way through town traffic and headed out to the house. The Pups would be hungry and I needed to get ready for dinner with the "buds".
Yep! The Pups were glad to be fed. Little Vermin always want to eat. Anytime any place.
Later, I heard that the Police chased a couple of Sport Bikes around all afternoon finally catching them when they got back in town where they could box them in. Yep I was lucky. I checked on the fine for thirty over and it made my nose bleed just hearing about it.
Well its almost time to head back out again. The Pups are all happy and enjoying a little nap. Now it's my turn.
Catch ya on the road

No comments: