Wednesday, July 1, 2009

7/1/09

365 Group (f)

This morning I went out and checked on my "retread" attempt on my back tire. It was looking good if I do say so. This stuff needs at least twenty four hours to cure out properly so by this evening it should be ready for a road test. Who knows, this may be the next "big thing", as far as being in a tight while out on the road. That's what I'm looking at, something to make an emergency repair.
I am finding it hard to find a tire for my bike. When ever I call up some of the Bike Shops in the area and tell them what I need, they don't seem to grasp what I'm needing. They mostly seem to be familiar with newer bikes and that's about it. The numbers on the tires are apparently not a standard that they are used to dealing with. When I tell them that it's a tube type tire it seems to confuse them even more. One place told me they never saw a motorcycle tire with a tube. Then there is the number conflict. My tire doesn't seem to be made by anyone anywhere under the model number that I have for it. I'm having a tough time finding the new model numbers. The tires are still being made. Evidently the numbers "have been changed to protect the innocent". I just don't know which bikes to tell them to cross match them with. This time around I'm asking when someone locates them to check and see what other bikes use them so I can have a pool to draw from next time.
I have decided that since I'm down anyway, I'll use this time to look everything over pretty well. This morning I saw a tow truck go by with a bike strapped to it's butt. I couldn't see any damage to the bike. I looked over the rider sitting in the passenger seat, he didn't look too happy. I'm figuring that it "konked" on him and he had to call a tow truck. "ouch"! So, since I have some pretty good trips planned for a little later, now be a good time to look the old gal over.
So for the next couple of days I'm going to grease the greasy stuff and oil the oily stuff and might even shine something? Doubt it. But I might
With all that I have pop up, this bike is still the most fun out of all the bikes I've owned or ridden. I'm thinking it's because it's so ornery.
Catch ya on the road.

1 comment:

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

What tire sizes do you need? I have friends...who specialize in all things classic to antique in the motorcycle end of things...maybe can help direct you to where you need to go...