Thursday, July 16, 2009

7/16/09 Old and Bullet Proof

365 Group (f)

This evening, Monday 7/13/09,I had a call from a man in my area wanting some information about an old Honda motorcycle. He had found one as he put it, a Craigs list deal, in a barn, for sale. He also told me that at one time he used to ride a lot but that was years ago. This was the reason for the "barn find". Something to tinker with and get back his riding moves.
We talked for about an hour and I told him all I knew about the old Honda CL 350 twin. He sounded all excited when I mentioned that they were almost bullet proof if they had been maintained even just a minimum. He said that this one was suppositly in a barn over by Alpena. That the owner was the original owner from 1972 and that it has been in this families barn since the guy left for college years ago. And...The guy wanted around a hundred bucks for it and whatever else he had that went with it.
We ended our conversation with me feeling like this guy might have made one of those "finds of the century".
About 11:00 a m, Wednesday 7/15/09, I got another call from my new buddy that had found the old Honda in the barn. He said he had bought the old Honda for a project and was wondering what I would charge to go with him,check it out a little and help him get it home. Thinking about it, this sounded kind of fun. Short road trip and some tinkering. I told my new friend, Martin, that I was at work and if he wanted to pay me what I was making there I'd go with him. That said mostly as a joke his instant comeback was," how much"?
We finally agreed that it could wait until I got off.
Two PM, I pulled out from work heading East on Hwy 412. I planned to meet Martin over by Hindsville and we would run on down to Alpena and pick up the bike. Floating down the road I had a mental picture of this "barn find" and it wasn't a good one. Bikes didn't do to well in the hands of North Arkansas farm boys back in the seventies. At the Gas station in Hindsville I meet Martin and his wife Linda. As I topped off my tank they explain the plan. We would meet the guy with the bike down at the Indian Cafe in Alpena and he would take us to it.
Telling them to go on ahead of me I fired up and pulled back out onto 412. Traffic was light to none at all most of my ride down. I made good time and had a nice ride.
Pulling into the Indian Cafe I noticed Martins truck and headed over to it. He was talking to the guy with the bike. We all headed out and on East a couple of miles to a side road that led to a house with a bunch of lazy hound dogs and "the barn".
The bike was all that the guy had said it was and more. Original everything, Except for the handle bars. Today they are called baby apes. Back then they were called high rise. It tickled me to hear the guy call them that. Showed him to be of my age bracket. Looking over the paperwork that he handed Martin, he and his dad were the original owners. He said he had taken decent care of the bike and had stored it when he left for college. He said he lost any interest in motorcycles and never got back to it.
The bike looked pretty good for its age and all. At one time he said it had a tarp over it. The paint was faded badly and it would take lots of cleaning. Dust and hay and dirt was thick on it. The tires had a couple of dry rot places and most of the rubber was showing the start of drying and cracking and where critter's had been chewing on it . It would need to have most of it replaced.
We rolled it out into the light and I was more impressed. It really looked good. The seat was a little rough. A couple of major tears. Hitting the kick starter the engine wasn't locked up. The oil even looked good.
Joking, I told Martin that I might be able to get it started and he could ride it home. The battery was shot but for grins and giggles we hooked it up to his truck battery with jumper cables, gave the carbs a shot of starting fluid and on the third kick she fired up. Only ran for a second or two, but it was enough.
Money changed hands and we loaded it in Martins truck. I told his wife to have him run it by the car wash and knock the dirt and dust off it before he started trying to work on it. Every one was happy and I headed back to the highway for a lazy ride back to the house.
Trips like this are a fun way to kill and afternoon. The fact that the bike was in such good shape just made it better. Pulling into town I saw Martin and Linda had made it to the car wash. The old bike looked even better with all the dust and hay off of it. They thanked me again and again offered to pay me. We finally settled on a burger and a coke.
While we ate I made a list of things for them to work on first. New tires and battery. Change the oil and to try washing out the carbs with carb cleaner before taking them off.
This was going to be a fun project and I was having a good time just watching them. After we finished eating we talked a little about the old bike and I told them to give me a call if I could help with it. They pulled out heading for home and I opted for another cup of coffee.
Thinking over this afternoon. There were lots of bikes around this area during the seventies. Probably still are lots of them in someones barn. I just need to get out and locate me one. Heading for the house I decided to advertise for one on Craigs list and see what I come up with.
Thursday, 7/16/09, 8:15 am, Two messages from Martin and Linda on my machine. Yep! This is going to be a fun project!

Catch ya on the road.

No comments: