Tuesday, June 30, 2009

6/30/09 Shoe Goo

365 Group (f)

This morning I went out to a beautiful morning and a bald spot on my back tire.

Looking over my tire, it was definitely "showin cord". Not a good thing. I shifted my plans around for transportation to work and started looking for a new tire. Since it was early none of the shops would be open. I emailed a few of the places that I do business with, told them I needed a back tire "really fast, double quick and in a hurry".
Kind of bummed out I jumped in the pickup and headed out to work. One of the best riding days and I was having to drive. Thinking that this might not be so bad I pulled onto the street and was immediately held up letting a herd of bikes go by. Now depression is creeping in. I finally got moving and it seems everyone was riding this morning. Everyone but me. Oh well, I needed some four wheel time. Might forget how if I didn't drive every once in a while.
It was pretty much an uneventful trip in. I took a bunch of ribbing from the guys at work. They had all managed to ride in. I told them it was one of my bonus days that I had built up riding during the winter and went on in to start calling the local shops in the distant hope one of them might have a tire laying around.
By 10:30 I had called all the shops in the area and no one had anything that I could use. A couple said the could have me one by Friday so I ordered a tire while I wondered if I could make it till Friday on four wheels.
Sitting and thinking about my problem I remembered something from a couple of years back. Shoe Goo. This stuff is made to repair shoes and other rubber products. A couple of years ago I had a similar problem with a tire and as a joke had smeared this stuff on the spot. I couldn't remember how long I ran the tire with this Shoe Goo stuff on it but I did remember how when I finally changed the tire out, it was still on there. In fact I couldn't pull it off. Now I had a new mission, at least until my new tire came in, to find some Shoe Goo and "retread" my tire.
A quick call to a friend at the "Evil Empire" located what I needed. Now I'm all set. Who knows? Based on what I remember, this might work.
Since I have the truck, I think I'll just do a mini parts run this afternoon and pick up some things I have been putting off. A frame and a set of forks and some other odds and ends that were too big to carry on the bike. Winter projects actually.
Maybe today wasn't a total loss? One of them "Bikin" days.
Catch ya on the road

No comments: