Saturday, June 13, 2009

6/13/09 Retiree's, their friends and a Traveling Circus

365 Group (f)

This morning I woke up to a foggy damp day.
While waiting for everything to dry off I got the "republicans" all ready for the day. They seemed to appreciate the effort.
I had hoped to be on the road by 7:30 or so. With the fog That got pushed back some.
At about 9:30 the fog was finally gone. I hit the road and heading east. I was hoping to make Harrison before noon and meet up with some tourists from North Missouri I had met last night. With the storms that blew through yesterday and the forecast for last night they had planned to get a motel for the night and get a later start out of Eureka Springs the next morning.We'd meet at the Airport in Harrison around noon. The plan was I was going to be a guide of sorts for them through the hills down to Russellville. They were wanting to see some of the out of the way places in the area. The Buffalo River and some of the other attractions. Once at Russellville they were picking up the interstate to Memphis.
As I rode along I felt that it was about time for a new chain and sprockets. I was getting some high speed vibration and that is usually a good sign it's time for a change. I might try and get it done in Harrison if I make good enough time and the folks from Missouri aren't real punctual.
As I came over the hill to the station at Alpena I noticed a big bunch of bikes. Looked like a poker run on steroids. I couldn't resist so I pulled in to see what was going on. Seemed that there were several groups out fairly early and they happened to pull in at about the same time for gas and restroom and all that. It was a blast talking with the riders and looking over some of their bikes. I grabbed a cup of coffee and walked out to take off. A couple of couples were looking over my old antique. One of the guys said he hadn't seen one like it on the road in years. Not since his college days. I was impressed, he actually knew what it was and a little about it. They all thought it pretty cool. I even explained that it was now a kick start only and asked if there were any volunteers to start it. All got sort of red faced but declined my generous offer. Handing my coffee to one of the ladies I leaned on to the starter and she fired up about half way through. They all seemed impressed. I took my coffee back and put it in the specialized carrier (jammed in between the brake line and tach body) by the tach and told everyone adios.
Pulling back on to the highway I wound the old bike out so they could get the full benefit of my specialized glass packs.
Before I knew it I was coming down the hill to hit 65 and head into Harrison. Running up the four lane I decided to skip the bike shop and head on out to the Airport and see if anyone was waiting. I pulled into the parking lot at the Boone County Regional Airport and didn't see anyone. Hoping I was early I eased over to the State Police Headquarters next door to check the time. 10:55. I was doing good. I thought I would head down and grab a biscuit. As I was pulling out I heard the low rumble of several Harley's. Seeing my group coming down the access road , the biscuit would have to wait.
Everyone was ready to get this "adventure" started so I told them that I would lead them around the city on some back road two lanes and we would be coming into Hwy 7 off of Hwy 206. I took off and rode slow so we didn't lose any one at intersections. Once on 206 I opened up a little and we made good time. As we pulled up to Hwy 7 I explained The Hub over at Dogpatch and told them that I wanted to show it to them in case they were ever back through this country. Pulling the spur to the Hub we made a lot of noise. I pulled up and parked. I explained that this used to be the amusement park Dogpatch USA and now it was a Motorcycle Resort with a Motel and really good restaurant. They all got off and went in to look things over. I stayed close to the bikes and visited with a couple of the locals until everyone was ready to take off again.
Running back down the spur I think we made more noise than we did going up. It was way fun listening to the rumbling.
Heading south on Hwy 7 we made the short run over to the Buffalo river at Pruitt. We crossed the bridge and pulled in at the Ranger station. After a few minutes there we were back on the road heading toward Jasper and the cut across to the Boxley valley. Elk was a topic and I told them that we could take a detour through an area where they might get to see part of the local Elk population and would get to see some really beautifull country. Everyone was up for it and seemed excited.
Running up the mountain toward Mt. Sherman and Low gap I took it a little slower than normal to point out a few things as we traveled. My real reason was I wasn't too sure how much twisty road experience this bunch had. I didn't want to have anyone stack their bike in the ditch. Not on my watch.
Running down the mountain, with all the scenery and the rumble of all the bikes holding in third gear it made for a great ride. As we crossed the bridge I pulled everyone over and explained the lay out of the miles ahead of up and pointed out that the Elk were likely to be anywhere along the road from here over to where we started back up the mountain. I suggested that they might want to get their cameras out and if they wanted to take a picture just pull over. I strongly recommended against trying take pictures while riding unfamiliar roads. All seemed to get the drift of my thinking. Taking off we ambled slowly along almost to the junction of Hwy 21. In the big field that is across from this junction the Elk were on parade. I showed everyone where to pull off and they got to take a few pictures.
Saddling back up we headed up 21 and out to Hwy 16 and made for Deer and Gas at Clayborns Store. While we topped off all seemed to be tickled with the trip. Especially the roads, the twisting and turning. "Nothing like these roads back home".
After topping off we ran the two miles down 16 to Hwy 7 and again headed south.
The rest of the trip to Russellville was pretty much uneventful. I showed them "Booger Hollow" and Mac's Pines Campground as well as gave them a general idea of attractions like Pedestal Rocks that were in the area.
We pulled into Russellville around six and headed down to the Dixie cafe for some chow. It was a great meal. Everyone had a good time and all told me that they really enjoyed the ride. We sat and talked for almost two hours around the table at the Dixie. As things broke up I told them of my plans to make the 70 miles or so back to my mom's for the night. I also recommended the Hampton Inn across the street.
I took a couple of pictures of this bunch and told all of them to call me if there was any trouble along the rest of the trip and headed back North to Deer,mom's and some really good food.
By myself I made really good time on the ride up to mom's. Before I knew it I was there.
I think I'll spend the night and hit it again tomorrow...since I'm already out.
Catch ya on the road

No comments: