Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6/24/09 Bankers,Doctors and Lawyers, oh my.....

365 Group (f)

Today was a great day to be on the road. That is if you were out early.

I had another Doctor appointment today and since it's only seventy or so miles I kind of slept in a little. That was almost a big mistake. I got around and put the pups in check to behave themselves, loaded the bike for a day trip and had "just one more" cup of coffee.
As I was bouncing down the drive I remembered the Banker that I been dealing with on a project and how he needed some things from my Lawyer. Oh well, a little side trip into Fayetteville wouldn't hurt. I hit the Highway and there was little traffic so I opened the bike up and made a fast trip into town. Once there everything slowed down to a crawl. Traffic was really heavy for this time of the morning. After lots of "shortcut" taking I pulled up to the Lawyers office. I explained what I was after and was told to wait and the heard quite possibly the dumbest question I've ever heard. "would you like a cup of coffee while you wait" Duh! After a couple or three cups of coffee the paperwork was all ready to go and I headed out to the bike. The heat by this time was starting to really come up and I was glad to finally get out and moving.
Once I got out of town everything evened out and it wasn't too bad.I just kind of floated along. Going East there was very little traffic and I made good time to about Huntsville. Just passed the first turn to Huntsville a Trooper had a car pulled over and had caused what traffic there was to slow way down. Once all us "law biding citizens" got out of sight we all hammered down and really tried to make up some time.
It wasn't too long before I found myself pulling into Marble and my Hush puppie stop. I grabbed a dozen to go and got back out on the road. The last time I had to see this Doctor I had a real wait. This time I had filled my thermos and had a dozen Hush puppies to help me kill the time.
From Marble on I didn't have anything but a sweet ride. I just tooled along and listened to the glass packs. I really had a good time with them rolling off the Boxley mountain. I let the bike hold back and did my best impersonation of an old truck. Running through the valley it was cool yet. The heat hadn't come up as bad in the lower areas as it was up on top. Pulling the other side of the mountain it was still shady in places and really nice.
I made good time until I reached Mossville. I pulled over at the church to give mom a call and see if she was home. There were three other bikes there and I chatted a little with the riders. They were just "out riding around". Taking a break from the road. All four looked like they were having a good time. I said adios and headed back out.
At about 11:30 I pulled in to my mothers house to see how the relatives were doing.
My nephew was up from Texas for a while. as I hadn't seen him in what seems like forever, it was a good stop over. Before I knew it it was time to make the last seventeen miles to the Doctor. I got out in the killer heat and hit the bikes sweet spot at 70 and settled in for the short trip. Going down the mountain into Jasper is always fun. Lots of curves with just enough straight stretches to make for a good ride. Some things don't ever change. I remember enjoying this short ride as a kid growing up.
I pulled up to the Doctors office with about twenty minutes to spare. In fact, I didn't even have time to pull out the Hush puppies before they called me.
After the bad news and "payin" and "yackin", I pulled out heading for Hwy 7 North. I had a bunch of thinking to do and I needed a long ride to do it.
Just across on the North end of the bridge in Jasper I hooked a left on to 74 and made a loud run up to Mt. Sherman and Low gap. I stopped at the brake check area on the Boxley mountain and downed a cup of coffee and a couple of Hush puppies.
The rest of my ride back to the house was a nice smooth one. The only thing that broke my easy mood was I noticed that a Trooper had a car pulled over in the same spot as the one from the morning. Something to remember.
This was a great trip, heat and all considered. About two hundred miles. Hoping to do it again on Friday. Without the Doctor.
Catch ya on the road

No comments: