Sunday, March 28, 2010

Old habits are hard to break.

365 group (f)

Yesterday the Sun came out. It got to the middle sixties and was so nice! The only draw back was a major wind. Seems someone in Texas left the door open again and we all got blown around a bunch.
I had been fooling with the old bikes off and on the last few days and finally it got the better of me. A short ride surely wouldn't hurt?
I fired up my "miss tilley" and bumped and bounced down my driveway. Figuring I'd just go for gas and then up to see my friend Luther. I started out slowly and just eased along. Making a last minute change I leaned toward Luther's and as I ambled up the long straight to his house, Well, I tried real hard but I slipped. I managed around eighty before having to shut it down for a curve. I felt like I was on top of things again.
It was good to visit with Luther. He's one of those once in a life time friends that seems to share my out look on a lot of things. After a couple of hours or so I headed back out to get my gas. Running down the mountain it was so warm and everything was clicking along so well that I thought I'd run the eight miles on into town and grab a burger and see how many other riders were out. Plus, Luther had indicated that he was looking for a project bike and I knew of a couple of people that I might catch up with that might have something. I wasn't much of a plan but it beat a slap up side the head with a greasy pork chop.
Pulling into town I picked out a spot to burger up that was close and I could keep a watch on the traffic. This was one of those days that you wait all winter for. I was sure I would see herds of riders out. After a lazy 30 to 45 minute lunch I only say one bike go buy. I know the guy and he was kind of like me. Always on one so he didn't really count.
I saddled back up to head to the house. No point in over doing it. My Doc I think is the type that would love to say "I told you so." Easing out of the parking lot I decided to make a circle home. About the same distance but a little different territory. I pulled out and went North on Old Missouri Rd. At the Joyce street light where I had planned to make my cut back across I noticed a couple of bikes in the lot of a friends gas station. Looked like they had had a problem. I pulled in and asked if there was any trouble. one of the women yelled "no, just waiting on the trailer." Both bikes were large Harley dressers and I could see the need for a trailer if they busted on ya. They are heavy, and look like it. I just don't see pushing entering the picture no matter what. Since it looked like they didn't need anything I went in to yell at Billy for a minute and let him spring for a cup of coffee.
Billy was in usual form. He doesn't ride but is what ya'd call a top notch supporter. While visiting with Bill, one of the couples came in to get some things. I kind of asked what had happened to a really newer looking Harley that needed a trailer. That's when I noticed Billy shaking his head. Seems that nothing was broken. It was the weather. It was apparently still to bad to be out on a motorcycle. From what I got out of them. They had started out from home about 20 miles down Hwy 412 toward the East. But the "Brutal" weather had forced them to pull over and call family members to bring a truck and trailer. They were all "leathered" up chaps, jackets and helmets behind farings and windshields. I just couldn't see it. However everyone rides for themselves. I'm not about to argue their point with them. I do tend to agree with my friend billy...I believe I would have at least tried to ride back the twenty miles to the house. After Bill bounced for a second cup I started back toward the house again. I cut across county roads and made a slow lazy circle. To me it was a nice day to be out. Even with the wind. Back at the house I saw my bike mechanic and his wife at the little cafe. I pulled in and shot the breeze with them and grabbed a bite to eat.
I had a good visit and even got a line on a project bike for my buddy Luther.
Pulling up to the house I looked at the LSI. 68 great miles. All in all I saw three riders and two "trailer-ites." I hope this warm weather keeps up and everything else works itself out. This was a good day.

Hope to catch ya on the road.

1 comment:

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

Hey John,
The ride is always worth the effort isn't it? Glad the bike did as she was expected and you got the 68 miles in! Ya never know sometimes how things will go...enjoyed the read!