Sunday, October 10, 2010

Another run through the hills

365 Group (f)



Everything had settled down around here for the most part. That meant it was time for another run through the hills.
At about 8 am on Saturday 10/09/10 I sent a message to some friends and relatives that said they wanted to go for an over night trip the next time I went. I put it pretty plainly "the herd is leaving and if your not part of it your still standing at the trough". No one showed.
I pulled out around eight thirty and headed toward Hwy 412. I had another witch doctor appointment at the clinic in Harrison to have my blood boiled at ten and after that I didn't have any real plan. With no one with me I decided to just wander.
After the ceremonial rattling of bones, grunting and all that went with it, they finally told my chaperon that I could go with the warning that I probably shouldn't drive. That's DRIVE....no where at any time did anyone say one word about riding. Seriously I was doing pretty good as I slept through most of the deal.
Now the trip actually began and as everyone knows a trip can be measured by the food you find along the way. This one was going to be a good one.

I left Harrison and headed down hwy 7 South. The day was just perfect for riding. Even the car traffic seemed behaved. I didnt have a plan in mind and no one along to help me make one so I just ambled here and there.
I managed to stop here and there and visit old friends. I even got to take a few pictures of the country side.

At about the 300 mile mark I found myself pulling into my place at Deer. I had been a few months since I had been down and visited with family and friends. I managed to catch us some and had a really good dinner with mom. When I woke up the next morning I felt like I had been on a battery charger all night. After visiting a bit over breakfast I decided to head straight back to the house and work some on my other bike.
I was making great time. The bike was running good...like it was firing on both cylinders. I was doing so good I pulled off at a rest area to drink some water and wave at the tourists that were riding through. Thats when this trip went south as they say.


I looked at a cord spot on a fairly new back tire. This was not a good thing as I was still about 75 miles from the house. I was also about that far from anywhere else. To top everything off I was in a cell phone dead spot for several miles. Finally as I sipped water I decided to make a run toward the house. I fired up and hit the road taking it easy for about 20 miles. Thats when it hit me, The shop is open today. I began to feel better as I thought about all the other things that had broken on trips and I managed to "get on down the road".
I pulled into the shop and checked on when I had bought the tire, Doing a little figuring, all I has on the tire was about six thousand miles. Phil at Majestic Power Sports looked for me another tire and found that he didnt have one in stock. We kicked things around and finally found a front tire for a sport bike that would work. And work it did. It even looked kind of cute on there.
I settled up with Phil and eased out on the highway. I decided to run it down the highway for a while so I could get used to how it rode before I got into any curves. I was surprised. That skinny tire held the road good and did real well in the cures.


I pulled into the house and noted 478 miles. It had been a good trip even with the tire.

catch ya on the road

1 comment:

manthano said...

If that is a cheap way to get a sport
bike, let me know.