Thursday, October 28, 2010

Friends a blessing from God

Ten 9 Twelve


3





365 Group (f)



38 degrees this morning. Felt good as I bounced down the drive way.

This morning I had a side trip to make that got me out just as the sun was starting to peak out. I hit the highway and headed East for a quick run over to Harrison.

Traffic at this hour was sparce and that was nice. I wound the old gal up once I got on 412 and managed to keep it at about 75 most of the way down, making for a quick run over.

A friend had found an old Royal Enfield for sale. The price sounded right so I had to go and check it out.

By the time I pulled into Harrison it was starting to warm some making for a better ride. I tooled through town and found a fast food place to kill a few minutes as I was badly in need of coffee and was just a little early.

After many cups of pretty good coffee and a couple of trips to the restroom I was tanked enough to get out and find this diamond in the rough.

After about 45 minutes of side streets with no luck I flagged down a sleepy looking cop and asked him where I needed to be.

Finally I pulled into the driveway of where my next treasure lay just waiting for me.

I cut the engine and sat for a second looking the place over and then went and knocked on the door. I'm here about the motorcycle you have for sale...

The guy, Lenny, looked a little surprised. "I ain't got no motorcycle, just a bunch of parts that was here when we moved in". OK, a basket case, that'll work.

He led me around to the back of the house and opened the doors to the basement.

There it lay, Two boxes of parts. Mostly bicycle parts. Altho there was a tank off a Honda Q 50 in the mess.

Thinking that I had maybe heard wrong I told him the story I had been told and he replied buy rummaging through one of the boxes and coming out with a neck badge from a bicycle that said Royal Flyer on it.

I kind of stood for a minute and thought that I maybe need to get a hearing aid.

Finally Lenny just couldn't take it any more and started laughing. He told me that David had set me up. He in fact had an Enfield but had seriously found out what shape it was in and what it was worth. He'd sent it to a place in Eureka Springs for an estimate to get it back on the road.

Now that I knew I didn't need hearing help we discussed what would possess such a nice feller like him to throw in with the seedy likes of my (use the term loosely) friend David to pull something like this on an obviously nice feller such as me. It seems that my buddy David thought this would be funny and would remind me of when we were younger. After a few minutes, it did. Lenny also said that David told him that I would need that tank. Well, OK, yeah, I can use the tank.

It was a good start to my day. 196 miles. If the tank doesn't leak too bad it'll look good on my kz at bike night or somewhere equally important. Lenny took my name and number in case the Enfield went higher than he could afford. So, there's still a chance...

Now the really fun part...figuring out how long to wait before leaving a message on my buddies machine about a barn fresh something or other that he just cant live with out.



catch ya on the road

No comments: