Monday, October 31, 2011

Elk on a pension

I had plans to get a few things done today. Things I've been putting off for quite a while. Sometimes it just does me no good to plan. I headed out this morning in a cool 40 or so degrees to get some breakfast and get a mile or two in. I had a spur of the moment change of mind and had breakfast packed to go. Filled my thermos with coffee and headed east toward Hwy 412. I just figured to ride a while and stop some place along the way and eat breakfast off the tank.
After about ten miles I decided to run over to Boxley and see if I could get a couple of shots of the Elk.
I'm not sure what was up today but traffic on 412 was almost bumper to bumper. I cant ever remember traffic like this. It was kind of a 'high speed' slow going feeling. we were running along at speed but with all the traffic it seemed like I was just creeping along.
I eased through Marble and traffic seemed to thin a bit. Turning onto Hwy 21 I was able to open up a little and feel like I was getting some place. As I made the miles over to Kingston I was really starting to enjoy the ride. All except for the heavy cross winds. I fought a cross wind all day. Running through Kingston I met several bikes and it just made everything seem all that much better.
As I started down the mountain to the valley I let the old gal just roll letting the engine hold it back and listened to the pipes. I really enjoy how it sounds like an old truck more than it did a motorcycle. At the brake check area I saw four bikes so I eased in to say howdy. Three newer BMW's and a new LARGE Victory. They were headed to Kansas City on the return part of their trip. We visited a bit then headed on.
I ran through the valley and couldnt find any Elk. Since I was close I ran on out and had lunch with mom.
I headed back to try and make an appointment at my bike shop for a new front tube. The crosswind was still with me but it was a great ride. No Elk on the return trip either. I'm begining to think those Elk are union.
Droping down into Kingston a yellow motorcycle caught my eye and I pulled over to check it out. It was SHARP! I believe it was a stock 1970 Norton Comando. I visited with the owner, a cool guy name Steve. He lives in the Kingston area. We talked verticle twins for a few and about doing some riding one of these days.
Finally I headed out to the bike shop where I postponed my new tube for a week so they could have the bike for a while and get my fork seals put in at the same time.
Pulling back in at the house, I realized I didnt get a bunch done today. I did meet a cool guy on an old Norton and had a great ride of 168 miles.

catch ya on the road

No comments: