Wednesday, October 19, 2011

my ride

My ride is 35 years old.
It has progressed to being a striped down, oil weeping. kickstart only machine. Thats a far cry from it's flashy beginings of an electric start, turn signaled, plastic covered road burner. I was told it was one of the bikes that began the sport bike age. Well, it runs me up and down the road. Thats all it 'needs' to do.
A Couple of weeks ago I met a lady that I had gotten to know online. We had became pretty good friends online and since she rode as well we decide to meet at a roadside cafe. It would be a good ride for each and hopefully a good visit with a new friend.
The ride over was about as good as you could hope for. Warm with those little tinges of cool that sneak up on you. For 270 miles it was a good day.
The meeting was unusual to put it mildly. It appeared that I didnt have enough money or was polished enough to be friends. This point was made very clear when she walked out and saw my bike. "i wouldnt be caught even parked near that thing." at about the time she was talking a group of riders pulled in to the gas pumps. I over heard them say they were heading to the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally. we walked over to look over their bikes and visit. They were on a real collection of bikes from sportbikes to dressers to a couple of worn out old bobbers. when one asked what I was riding and I pointed out (rather proudly) my Miss Tilley, well, my roadside 'date' came crashing to an end.
I spent about 15 minutes listening to a fake and forced "how nice it was to meet and we should do it again real soon" kind of talk. After she took off on her shiny Honda I walked over to the riders and asked if they'd like a personal guide to Fayetteville, Arkansas and the Bikes, Blues & BBQ rally.
We flogged it all the way and those two old worn out bobbers would flat run!
I went on this little ride to make a friend. Turned out I made nine from Northern Kansas. The lady I went to meet. well, we use to talk a bunch on line...havent heard from her since that day. Guess my credit score wasnt high enough?
My ride is 35 years old...
Catch ya on the road

2 comments:

manthano said...

Just proves, some rides are better than others.

Learning to Golf said...

Better off without a woman than one like that. Glad to see you posting again.