Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Gremlins and Speed Demons

March 18, 2014

  The joys of an older bike are never ending. It's one of life's perks.

  This morning I made an earlier appearance than normal at work. I actually got there before daylight. There was reason for this burst of energy on my part. A good clear night and a bike that need to be ridden after dark to make sure all the electrical gremlins had been chased away.

  I managed to pull out a quarter to five and made it all the way to the local cafe/coffee shop. (about a half mile) I picked up some breakfast for later then out into the remains of the night. The bike ran good and I managed to turn a thirteen mile commute into a 56 mile ride. All was good going. The lights were working like new from the factory and I was feeling pretty good about everything that had been giving me problems. Funny how great feelings can turn lousy in the blink of an eye...

  I cut across from the two lane I was on to a divided highway to make some time to work. I wound the bike up as I normally do and after a couple of miles I noticed that I was running over a hundred and cars and trucks were passing me like I was still at the house. My LSI (lickity split indicator) gremlin had returned. I have been fighting this issue for sometime. The gears in either the clock or the hub have enough wear to cause this little headache. So with a squalling noise coming from the clock and no way of knowing how fast I was actually going I pondered what to do. Limp it back to the house and ride something else to work or head to work? It's on 28 more miles and I always liked running a hundred miles per everywhere I go. The rest of the ride was just capitol. I might need to do this more often.

  Well, now I have another little project to attend to. Maybe next time I'll get lucky and catch this little gremlin rascal and strangle it? But for now, it's running like it should. The weather is just about perfect and I'm pretty much happy camper.

catch ya on the road...I'll be the one running over a hundred

No comments: