Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 22, 2014

  This morning was cool and all sun shiny... the perfect combination for a ride.

  I fired up the bike and let it warm up good then headed down to top off the tank.  While I was getting gas I made contact with one of my doctors and found that he would be in his office this morning.  He had contacted me earlier in the week needing some parts for his bike.  Seems that a dog got in his way and caused a crash.  After gas and grabbing a big biscuit and thermos full of coffee I got on the road.  The ride was good.  All the little pesky gremlins must have slept in?  That or I finally got them all worked out.

  Traffic was light for a Saturday morning and I enjoyed it.  I made good time over to Hwy 412 then really made good time over to the Doc's office.  This stretch of 412 is almost completed.  Divided highway and new (smooth) made for a more comfortable little ride.  So, with the sun trying to warm things up and humming JJ Cales 'call me the breeze' I motored along.  yeah!!

  Doc was with a patient when I got there so I poured a cup of coffee and started on the Bacon biscuit and waited.  I was just getting to my second cup when he popped out with a grin on his face.  We chatted a bit about the road and bikes and my next appointment then it was time to get back on the road again.

  I headed over the mountain toward moms.  As I started up the hill out of town I fell in behind a couple on a Road King.  They had been in town while I was visiting with Steve and were making all kinds of noise, rapping their pipes and blaring a stereo.  When he saw I was behind them he punched it and took off.  OK, I need to see if my repairs would hold so I followed suit and for the next seventeen miles I pushed them, Hard!  I don't think it was what they were expecting.  At about 70 mph through the mountains you could tell that my repairs were good and that the Harley pilot was really having second thoughts about showing his ass. (body language speaks volumes)  Since they were two up I backed off of them as we got into the tight curves.

  We came to a little intersection and I had a good laugh as they went right and I went left.

  The rest of the ride over to moms was just plain old fashioned fun as I was literally hammer down.  The bike ran great.  No sign of a Gremlin today.

  My visit with mom was too short as always but as always was good.

  My trip back was a slower pace.  The wind was stiff and starting to get cool.  I made good time with only one issue.  A guy in an SUV turned left in front of me.  The bastard saw me.  He stopped and turned on his signal light.  I had a funny feeling and started slowing down.  I guess I started slowing at just the right time as I barely missed him.

  Back on 412 I stopped at Marble for some dinner.  While I was there I made contact with a friend that was ahead of me on his deuce.  He was in the next little town at Wal-Mart.  Seems he didn't dress warm enough and had to buy a jacket.  We made plans to meet up at a little gas station after my dinner and his shopping trip.

  Looking at the dark clouds in the sky after I had eaten, I realized that the weather man missed it again.  The rain that was supposed to come in late this evening was going to be here any minute.  I didn't have any real desire to do thirty five miles wet and cold.  I got back on the road and really let the hammer down.  I made a quick trip over to meet my buddy.  As I came up on the little gas station we were to meet at he was sitting in the drive.  I didn't slow down as I came by.  I pointed toward the sky and he pulled in behind me.  We roared up the road and actually beat the major part of the rain.  Just got a few hard hitting sprinkles.  We were lucky.  We slid under the awning at the gas station at home just as the heavy stuff started.  Just as we were joking about our luck a rider came in behind up.  He was soaked.  Yes, we were really lucky....this time.

  After a quick call to mom to let her know I made it alive and a nice chat with my gal in Texas I slipped out in the rain to the house.

  Remember kiddies....GOD loves me!  Watch out for SUV's.  Weathermen never get it right if your on a bike & I had fun!

catch ya on the road

No comments: