Sunday, March 16, 2008

Actual Mortorcycle story


Proud Member Of The 365 Group
(I rode mine today)



The ride is a 1977 kz750 twin



12/13/07
Last night was a trip!


After two days it finally let up on the rain where I could ride home. The temperature being down in the 30's made it take a couple of hours to get the bike started.


Had to jump it off a car and use what seemed like a gallon of starting fluid and it still seemed like it took forever. Once I got on the road it wasn't too bad,kind of nice actually.
Hwy 412 as usual was packed with idiots. I did have my wife Cat following me to keep people from running up on me (if she didn't run me over then all would be OK)
Like I was saying it was a nice ride... up to where I turned off on to Guy Terry Road. Just as I was making my turn on to Guy Terry my head light went out. After a quick stop to determine that I couldn't fix it there I explained to Cat that I would ride on using her head lights and the moon light to see by. I also had a flash light that I was going to turn on when I met someone. For those of you familiar with this area you know that this particular piece of road is crooked and steep at times and filled with bumpy attempts at road repair. Not too bad in the light, sucks after dark or as in my case no light. But I had done things like this before in emergencies and you can do OK with someones headlights.... unless you lose your mind and take off like you had good sense in these matters. I started off and it wasn't too bad. However once I got accustomed to the situation I was jammin down the road like I always do and couldn't understand why Cats headlights weren't helping all that much. It finally dawned on me and I slowed wayyyy down. This would last for a quarter mile or so then I'd get a look at the speedometer and it would say 60 - 65 and I'd have to slow down again. Seems that I would get comfortable and forget???
The whole trip usually takes me about 30 minutes with the traffic and traffic lights and all that. This time however it took a little longer. Counting my stop to check the lights and everything else, by my watch it took 43 minutes. ( now since all major events need a Boswell I pulled into a local Gas station/ Cafe and went in and ordered a couple of sandwiches and visited with the locals)
I was talking to a friend later and asked Cat to describe the trip and she said it was "harrowing", that she was afraid that someone would run into me.
I don't recommend riding without lights except in an emergency. however...there is something to be said for tearin down the road at about 70 mph in the dark and wondering if your going to hit a piece of truck tire laying in the road or someone is going to pull out to pass... I think it's called adrenaline mixed with a major dose of stupid
Anyway that's my story and I have Boswells to prove it so I'm stickin to it.
Since this is a new blog and a whole new deal for me you will see the (f) on all my stuff. (f) = faction... fictional account based on actual facts. You will see this on all my posts because sometimes it just plain sounds better all fancied up...don't ya know!

John

1 comment:

manthano said...

Just proves they do not make them like they used to.

Today's motorcycles will only go as far as the carwash, and only then if there is not a cloud in the sky.

Keep up the good work.

luther