Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Storms

Proud member Of The 365 Group
(I rode mine today)

Today was a trip. The ride in was great! Weather was warm, in the 60's and clear. The ride back was a different story. The weather channel said we were in Tornado conditions and that the afternoon would be wet and windy. Man they were right, it seemed that in the blink of an eye the skies turned black and the wind picked up. I had an appointment with an Eye Clinic after work and several of my friends offered to loan me their car "because it's going to rain". I know they mean well but I'd have to bring their car back and still ride home.(sometimes you just have to shake your head) As I headed out to my appointment I was thinking this may not be too bad. There are a few car washes that I could roll into if things got too bad. After my Eye exam I was thinking that if I can make it out of town before anything starts falling I'd have it made. I hammered down once out of town and I got 99% lucky. I made it most of the way home before the rain hit. The last 5 or 6 miles were a total down pour. The Rain drops felt like someone was shooting me with a BB Gun. Cross winds were so strong that I that I had to work at keeping in my lane. I was literally blown all over the road. I was lucky in that I have some pretty decent rain gear. However, (as usual)I was'nt wearing it. But like I said nothing was falling when I left.
I rolled in to one of my local gas stations to top off for tomorrows ride and the lady working there took a look at me and smiled and told me again that I was an "Idjet" . She knows me and is used to seeing me ride in all kinds of weather. An older woman customer in the store just shook her head. "Don't you have a car?" She asked. Well, yes, I have a car. I haven't driven it in a year or so but I have one. The way she asked was like she was trying to find some reason that would force me to ride in this weather. Like no one would actually choose to ride a bike. I guess some people just cant understand that the weather goes with the ride and here in North West Arkansas the weather can and does change often.
Believe it or not...I'm having fun.

No comments: