Sunday, January 4, 2009

...it's all part of the game

Today finally hit a whopping 30 degrees before I took off. Cool, but I had planned to make it a short ride and the temperature wouldn't matter so much. Figuring I'd just run down to Mission and maybe grab a sandwich at Penguin Ed"s. I pulled out onto Highway 45 and headed west. Traffic was slight at this hour as I figured most people were either still at church or still in bed. It was really enjoyable being out in the crisp air and listening to the unique roar my pipes make. Not a Harley sound. Not loud, not really anything like I usually associate with a bike. Just kind of a rumbly roar. Some people run Screamin Eagle Systems. I run "Cluckin Chickens". To be exact The "Roosters loose edition".

Anyway, as I topped Slaughter mountain and came along by the Chapel I hit a warm air pocket and it felt so good that I began to think that maybe I might make a bit longer trip and just tool around the area a bit. On the spur of the moment I hit Gulley road and went blasting down the hill like I was a whole lot younger and had less brains. The wind was back to being cool again and I slowed down. Coming out on Butterfeild Coach road I saw a bike go by . Thinking there goes today's title I tried to catch up and see if I knew the rider. But they were doing some moving and by the time I got out they were just a speck. Ahhh well, I was just going for a short ride anyway. Turning back in the general direction of Ed's I started thinking about all the small connecting back roads that eventually would lead back over to '45 and remembered how we'd take these little roads and streets just for fun.


Turning down one side road led to another and before long it was like being in a maze. Short stretches with right angle curves. None really long enough to get up any speed. In about 45 minutes I managed to come back out to Highway 45. Only about a half hour longer than if I had taken the direct route. Yes, It was still lots of fun. Even by myself.


I rode on down to get my sandwich and thought again about maybe doing a longer ride today.


After eating I got back out and realized that it was wayyy cool. I fired up and figured that maybe I'd just head back to the house and do something inside today. I still had that Camera mount that I was wanting to get together. So with that in mind I headed to the house and a hot cup of coffee.


Today's ride wasn't much by Biker Magazine standards. It was however a ride. It was a lot of fun and it was in 30 degree weather. Something I don't read about much in Biker magazines.

No comments: