Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just a nice ride. (it happens)

This morning when I went out to leave for work it was cool enough that I figured on driving my car. The weather channel said it would be warmer in the afternoon, but it was 29 degrees at the time I left.
I started out and got about a mile from the house when I developed a problem with my car. Every time I let off the gas it died. Thinking about the morning traffic ahead of me I decided on calling the child bride and catching a ride in with her. As is usual with her she didn't answer my call so I limped my "hover round" back to the house. I gave up on her help after the third unanswered call and looked over at my bike all covered up. Then I looked at my breath that looked like I was smoking a cigar. Oh well I've done worse.
I uncovered my bike and fired it up and headed to the house to put on some more clothes.
By the time I had gotten changed and back out to the bike I noticed that it had warmed up some. You know it's going to be a good day when you can actually notice a temperature change. I turned the bike around to head down the drive and just sat there letting it warm up and thought about how much fun this old ride has been and how dependable it is...So far.
Once I got out on the pavement I opened up a little and the initial chill over with. Traffic was thick from the start and it was slow going most of the way to the mountain. Seems a school bus was making it's appointed rounds and generally gumming up the works. Once I got off the highway for my run around the mountain it was nice and just me. About two miles down this part of my trip there is a little spot where someone has done some clearing and made like an over sized yard area beside the road. As I rounded the curve coming up to this clearing there stood a big Doe. Thinking that I should probably slow down as there might be more and they might try to hitch a ride with me I started gearing down and just came to an almost stop. The Deer just looked me over and kind of softly loped over a small brush pile. One of those times I wished I had may camera out.
Winding back up to Highway speed I tooled along down to Guy Terry road and made my turn. This little stretch of road is a lot of fun in that it's curvy and has a couple of big dips in it. Pulling the first hill and getting ready to blast through one of the short straight stretches I noticed a dog in the road. "Curses, foiled my fun". As I got up pretty close I could see that the dog was actually a very well fed coyote. He crawled through the fence beside the road and then turned to look me over. It was so funny. He looked like he was giving me the once over then kind of looked all around and acted like there wasn't anything of interest and trotted off kind of slowly. For some reason this just seemed funny as all get out to me and made the rest of my ride a lot more fun.
After Guy Terry I eased up to the new Don Tyson Express way and while waiting at the light a sport bike came flying by. Thinking about how much trouble these idiots have been causing with the cops and people that live out here, for anyone on a bike on this new road, I felt like throwing something at him. But that would have made me even later than what I was and an idiot will always be an idiot no matter how many times you hit him with a brick or whatever.
Tooling into work I discovered that I was only two whole minutes late.
Getting through work wasn't too bad today and at quitting time I figured on a ride down to Mission on the way home and grab a bite to eat at one of the places there. At this little intersection there are eight pretty decent eating places. So I usually make it down a couple or three times a week on my way home. Pulling out from work I decided on Pizza and headed for Tim's (<----shameless plug for Tim's Pizza) Tim's is not bad as Pizza joints go. It's always good. A little slow if you in a hurry.
While waiting on my food a couple of other riders came in and we visited some and that always makes any meal better. They were younger guys and riding a couple of the Honda 250 Rebels. They said they were just riding around town and killing time. After the pizza, we walked out and talked bikes for a few minutes and after all the see ya's I headed home. It had gotten up to about the middles 50's and it was a nice ride to the house.
Thinking back on the day. I'm glad I ended up riding. I'm not glad that I now have to work on my car. I'm also not to happy with the weather forecast for the next few days. Single digits. Almost enough to make me unsubscribe the weather channel.
If the weather permits, hope to catch ya on the road.

No comments: