Monday, January 19, 2009

Ridin and Duck Huntin

Today I had planned to take my car to work so I could take my camera equipment with me. As is my luck lately the car still needs some work on it to get it to run right for heavier traffic. I managed to get it back to the house and added a couple of other things to the to do list for it.
I strapped on my bags and fire the old bike up. While I was warming it up I slipped in the house and put on my cold weather gear. It was about 32 degrees when I first started out and I couldn't tell it had come up any. The weather man promised the middle 40's for today. Not too bad. It just put a damper on my after work photo's.
Heading down my drive I got set for a chilly ride in and I was surprised. It wasn't all that bad. I hit the highway and ran up to about 65mph and settled in to a nice ride. The cross winds hit just as I was about out of town and they were stiff and bone chilling. I made pretty good time to the mountain and after I turned off I noticed that I didn't have any crosswind. That was nice.
It looked like I would have the title all to myself this morning until I got to the second traffic light coming into town. Another bike was in one of the on coming lanes as I rolled up to a stop. He was all bundled up and looked absolutely miserable. He was riding a big Shadow and looked like he was frozen. I waved at him as the light changed and he kind of nodded and looked really cold. I hope I didn't look that bad. I didn't feel all that cold.
Pulling into work I noticed that no one else had braved the weather and ridden it. That made me feel even better. All day log I only saw one other bike go by. Must have been really bad out, worse than I thought. I didn't even see the usual locals that only live a block or two from their jobs.
Quitting time finally drags up and I have surprisingly good luck getting into traffic and even make good time out of town. My plan was to get over to a pond beside the road and get some pictures of a bunch of ducks that I had been seeing. There was about a dozen or more of them and they acted like they really enjoyed this colder weather we have been having.
As I pulled up to the pond the ducks were there. They were just on the far side from me and wouldn't even think of coming my way. I sat there in the wind for a while hoping that they would take pity on me but, Noooooooo... Finally I realized that I was cold and fired up and made a great run to the house. This cooler weather is apparently just the right conditions for my bike to run it's best. That old engine sounded so good. It seemed to run real even and smooth.
Pulling into the house I looked over at my car and wondered when the next warm spell was coming so I can finish tuning it up. I would have stayed with the ducks a little longer if I had been out of the wind. As it was I had a real good time. made good time both ways and as I unpacked, realized that it was another great day riding around North West Arkansas.
Still hoping to catch ya on the road.

No comments: