Monday, May 17, 2010

5/17/10

Herd 365 (f)





This morning it was foggy and damp with no rain in sight! Just about a perfect morning for a ride.

I remember thinking as I headed out to the bike that this was going to be a great ride, even if it was only in to work. As it turned out it was a great ride. Just a real rough start to it. First, after all the kicking I could muster for a good twenty minutes didn't produce anything more than a cough now and then, I decided to roll start down my driveway. When that didn't work I decided that a roll down the street was in order.

Sitting beside the street in the drive of the church next door I slowly began to consider the possibility...something might be amiss. Checking everything over again and finding nothing wrong I was really scratching my head. I decide on one last kick before walking back and getting the car. About half way through the kick she fired up and rumbled like always. Now I'm really puzzled.
Anyway, I jumped out into the street and headed for work. The bike was running as good as it always does and before I got into traffic I ran it up to the top a couple of times and had a blast.
I made over to the turn off at the foot of the mountain and headed along the lake. Thinking that this would be a good morning to skip work and ride around some I had to fight to keep heading to work. Bills to pay and all that won out.
Sitting at a stop sign I noticed that I had made it about half way to work and hadn't saw another bike. Not even the usual regulars. On a morning like this I should have seen several. Man! People don't know what they are missing.
Traffic was light in town and I made really good time and didn't even have a single close call. All the way to work. Now that, I think, is an indicator of what the day would have been like if I had just headed off somewhere.
The day moved along and I finally got to the end of it. The bike fired up without too much trouble and I headed back toward the house.
Both ways, it was all too short. But it was a great ride. And the day was just perfect for it.
Catch ya on the road

No comments: