Saturday, May 8, 2010

Long Road

365 Group (f)

This shot is along Hwy 21. I was on my way back from the long road and pulled over to take a break from sixty five miles of cross winds and have a cup of coffee. It is a quiet place and for about forty five minutes I didn't see a vehicle of any kind. It was great!

I headed out Wednesday afternoon on another phase of the long road with the doctors.
The weather couldn't have been better. Traffic was like, well traffic. But it wasn't too bad. I was ahead of the getting off work crowd and made good time, even with all the stopping to take pictures and eat hush puppies and so forth.
The first hundred miles kind of clicked by and was really a comfortable ride. One of those deals that went so good you don't remember anything about it.
Pulling into Harrison I took the back streets over to the "Horse-pistol" and got the check in stuff taken care for the next day. Heading over to the motel I fell in with a couple of hooligans on a Harley dresser and a big Yamaha cruiser. We raced from traffic light to traffic light. My "tilley" could wax em between lights but they had me on top end. All was good.
I crashed at the motel with a pizza that I bought having forgotten that I wasn't suppose to eat anything and watched a rerun of a documentary on Motorcycles and ATVs. Let me tell ya, watching late night TV with a large meat lovers pizza sitting next to you and not being able to eat it just sucks!!
Morning came way too soon and I headed out to the biopsies, tests and other junk designed to remove the excess growth from ones pocket book. After four hours of medical stuff they said I was done for this round. Cool!! I fired up "tilley" and tooled around town some to see how much it had changed. Hard to believe that 30 years ago I was a cop in this little town. Any way, it was a lot of fun just running the streets and all.
Settling up with the lady at the motel I picked up a map and plotted a trip through the hills that started out on secondary roads and ended up on "fifth-endary" roads ending back on hwy 7 south almost to Dover and Russellville. It was a good ride. Twisty and up and down. Back on hwy 7 I made good time the forty some odd miles back to my place at Deer.
After a couple of days of recouping I fired up and headed back toward the house.
The ride back up was windy to put it mildly. I was constantly fighting to stay in the lane and sometimes...on the road. A couple of times the wind seemed to stall the bike. It was a strange and tiring experience. All together it was 428 miles and, all in all, it was great trip. In a strange way, I'm really looking foreword to the next one.

Catch ya on the road


2 comments:

Learning to Golf said...

Sorry you had to waste that pizza John. Don't you wonder how those tests know you ate after 8:00? They must be smarter than me for sure. Still saying a prayer that all is well.

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

ah John, I'm glad you're getting to ride. With the kind of stresses you're dealing with, I'm really glad you get to ride after the Docs get done with ya...
I think of ya more often these days...I don't always stop in when I should...but I think of ya...
Hope you're well...