Monday, April 28, 2014

April 21, 2014

     My brother-in-law called and said he was riding up from Fort Worth to visit mom.  He has a newer Harley-Bago that he was itching to get out and ride.  Sounded good to me and I arranged to take the coming Friday off to go down and visit.

     My ride over was a good one.  The temps are getting warmer and it went quick.  I pulled in and parked next to Harley's offering to the world of motorcycling and got in a few jabs at my brother-in-law about how his Winnebago was missing most of it's wheels.  We visited for a while and decided to make a run through the hills.  We managed about a hundred miles in really great weather.  The traffic was light and the roads were fun.  I headed back to the house and a really good ride.  It was just a great day for getting out and putting on the miles.

     On Saturday I spent the day working on a couple of project bikes.  I actually made some progress on one of them.  The other not so much.  I'll have to get it to the shop where they have more specialized tools.  I made arrangements for the shop and call Saturday a day.
    Sunday I gave mom a call to check on her and see how she was holding up under a house full of visitors.  I also wanted to find out when my brother-in-law Ray was heading back.  Mom said she was doing pretty good but Ray was going to be staying for a while.  Ray got on the phone and explained that he'd went out riding and managed to roll his Ultra Classic.  Nine broken ribs.  One broken ankle and several staples in his head.  Apparently Ray forgot that the curves here are a tad bit different than what he was used to in Texas.  The next morning I saddled up and headed down to moms to check on everybody in person.  This just seemed a little wild to me for some reason.  I had a good run through the hills and even managed to stop and visit with my Norton riding Doctor. 

     I pulled into moms drive and saw quite a sight.  On one hand a regular sight in this area....Harley on a trailer.  On the other hand I can't remember ever seeing one of Rays bikes on a trailer.  Or all torn up either.  From the looks of things most of the damage was cosmetic.  I looked it all over and there didn't seem to be any damage to the bike itself.  From the looks of everything the crash bars and saddle bags took the most of the wreck.  From what I could find out from a couple of shops in the area and different people, probably around $10,000 in cosmetic damage and shop time.  I didn't get to see Ray as they had taken him back to the hospital for further checking.  I visited with mom and then headed back to the house.
  
     This early spring in the hills makes for some great riding.  People come from all walks of life to vacation and ride through our mountains.  They create memories that last a life time on a motorcycle....Just like my luck as hell brother-in-law Ray.

remember the next ride is just a kick or two away....

No comments: