Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April 7, 2014

     I walked out this morning to light rain.

     It was supposed to be rainy off and on all day today.  The temperature was about as good as it gets.  Somewhere in the middle 40's early and in the middle 60's later in the day.  The bike didn't give me too much trouble and before I knew it I was bouncing along like normal.

     The trouble with days like this isn't the bike and all that "two wheels vs four wheels" junk you always hear debated.  It's the people with the four wheels and their lack of general intelligence.  They tend to drive like they do everyday and that causes issues for people like me that don't drive at all.

    This morning I was lucky as I hit one of those spots in traffic where there wasn't anyone on the road but me for the first four miles or so.  I had a local that knows me pull up behind me as I came up on my turn off the highway.  Coming up on my turn off I looked back and saw their signal light come on.  I made my turn and they honked and went straight.

     I dodged the rain along my route to work and really enjoyed the ride.  The best part was just feeling of riding a good ride.  Cool, damp and the bike purring with no hiccups.

     I got a few looks from folks safely tucked in the cars at traffic lights.  Always do when it's the least bit cool or damp.  At one light a lady in a car beside me made gestures like it was cold.  I looked  at her, grinned and patted my back seat.  She cracked a large smile and shook her head no.  I could see in her eyes, she did think about it for a brief second.

     Riding in this area is a lot of fun.  You can manage to ride most of the year if you really want to.  There is a down side to it though.  Seems that there always is.  A man that worked at the sister operation to the one I work at hit a gravel patch on a curve and flipped his bike.  He was 56 and really enjoyed riding.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

     My ride back home was just as good.  Dodged rain and just enjoyed it.  I hope that tomorrow is as good.

catch ya on the road


No comments: