Sunday, August 30, 2009

8-30-09 Just piddlin around

365 Group (f)

This past week work has been a real issue. Employee problems and all that goes with a forced change of personnel.
I was looking foreword to taking the weekend and maybe making a lazy trip down home and visiting with the folks and unwinding. Of course it didn't happen. Work followed me home.
I did manage to get a few things done in the way of parts for the old Yamaha. I'm tired of battling the Gremlins in the Carbs and since I cant find anyone to rebuild them for me or order the rebuild kits, I'm trying to order another set. I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a back up set in case this comes up again.
I spent most of yesterday, Saturday, on line with a place in Canada that sells kits and parts for these old bikes. Maybe they'll find something for me?
Around 11 am I jumped on the bike and decided to head out to a local BBQ place for some chow. It was close and is always good. The ride down was nice. Not too much traffic and air had a definite cool to it. One of those rides that you can just get lost in.
The BBQ place was jumpin when I pulled in. Place was packed! Seems that every one had the same idea for lunch. I managed to get to the counter and get a beer and waited. Finally a table opened up and I jumped it before they even got it cleaned off. I eat here a lot and the girls working there are always tickled with me. They cleaned the table and brought my order and another beer. All was good. I visited some with the manager as I ate. She said the place had been a zoo all morning long.
Walking out to the bike I had a couple on a Newer Gold wing pull up and ask if the place was any good. I told them I couldn't recommend it high enough, to ask for the manager and give her my name. That seemed to tickle them and they waited till I pulled out and took my space.
Pulling out on the four lane Traffic was bumper to bumper. A guy in an old pickup motioned me in otherwise I probably would still be setting there waiting. Funny how this end of town sometimes goes berserk.
Waiting at the light I looked around for the sport bike crew that blasted me about this same place a while back. I had been told that they prowled this end of town quite a bit. Not that I have anything against sport bikes. These guys are just down right nuts. No sport bikes and the light changed and I eased back toward the house. Again the traffic was light and everything just kind of clicked. Made me wish I could have gotten away like I had originally planned.
Tooling into town I was flagged down by one of the locals. He was wondering if I'd be interested in a motorcycle he had. A 1978 KZ 650. Said it needed some cosmetic work, side covers and seat and a few other things. Not really interested as money is tight right now, I asked him how much. When he said nothing I had to ask him again. Zero dollars. I had to ask, why are you giving it away? He said he thought I might could use it for parts. He didn't know anyone else that was into old bikes like it. Seems he works detailing houses for a local contractor. In one of the houses was the motorcycle. They told him to haul it to the dump. He said he wouldn't have a title for it. No problem. We'll just get the local police to look it over, run the VIN and if it's not stolen I'll do the lost title thing with the DMV. So now I have a new bobber project. Price was right. So right that I'll probably buy him a case of whatever he drinks. The good Lord always seems to keep life interesting for me as I go along.
Now I'm waiting on the police to get to it and back to hunting parts and, looking at Cats ride sitting in the drive. Wonder if she'd ever miss those little old side covers?
Catch ya on the road

No comments: