Thursday, August 20, 2009

8/20/09 I got lucky, it was just another day in paradise

365 Group (f)

This morning the storm really hit. It had sort of been making little jabs here and there for most of the week. I woke about five a m or so to a real light show and lots of loud thunder. Looking at the weather map showed a big storm all across my part of the state. Should prove to be interesting as my car is back in the shop with an oil leak.

Doing all my morning running around, shower, coffee and all, it came to me, I left the bag with my rain gear hanging on the sissy bar. OUTSIDE...in the rain. Not good. Thinking about it I tried to get my pups to mount a daring mission and rescue my rain gear. For some reason they weren't too quick to pick up on this plan.
I finally couldn't put it off any longer and headed out to the bike. The rain had become light and my rain gear bag hadn't soaked up so it was all good. I ran back in and "laddie dahed" the pups. Putting on the gear I noticed they still didn't seem real interested. Radar did show a little interest as I was leaving. He raised his head and looked at me like he was glad all the commotion was over and he could get back to nap time.
Pulling out on to the street you could see the high water marks all along the ditches. It had really been a big rain. At the highway traffic was light and I opened up a little to shake the water off the bike. Seems it always runs a little better when it's good and damp. As I was hitting the end of town, at the cafe, I noticed all the regular "blowflies" were in place at the picnic tables. I get a big kick out of being their topic of conversation each morning.
I ran on up to highway speed and into Fayetteville, missing any real rain. Stopping at the bank I grabbed some gas money and hit back out into the heavy early traffic. Guess the rain had slowed every ones leaving time from home. It was bumper to bumper. That old pinball feeling was creeping back in as I inched along. Finally, after two closer than I like calls traffic started to ease a bit. It got down right livable as I hit the area between the cities. All along my ride in town I noticed where several wrecks had happened. Must have been a harder rain than I first thought.
I pulled into work and noticed that none of the "Bad Assed" bikers had ridden theirs in.
Guess that's a good thing? Shortly after I got in it started to pour. Hard rain for over an hour.
By lunch time the storm had moved on a little and the Sun was working it's way out. According to the weather map this afternoons ride should be a good one. Who knows, I may take the long way around again? Might even see another rider? Didn't see any on my way in.
Hope to catch ya on the road

No comments: