Friday, August 21, 2009

8/21/09 Best laid plans...

365 Group (f)





I'm doing my part to bring the country out of this economic slump. I've bought so much carburetor cleaner lately that it has to have had a stimulating effect on things.


Today I decided to take the day off and make an all out effort at getting the Yamaha back on the road. I got a quazi early start at things. The pups were all worried that something was up, like a Vet visit, since I didn't go in to work. Once their fears were put to rest and they came out from under whatever piece of furniture they were hiding under they pitched in and helped me like they normally do.


Finally the sun came out and the dampness of the morning dried off. I made a little adjustment to the carbs on my old double barrel and fired up to a smooth low rumble. Man that's the way to start the morning. Glaspaks off an old truck help. I was even nice and didn't let my neighbors enjoy the sound of my bouncing down my driveway.

Pulling out on the street I headed into town to do my part to shore up the economy.

Man! It was such a nice morning. Temperature was just right and bright and clear. I was starting to have second thoughts about today and just riding off into the sunrise. I was late enough that there wasn't any morning traffic and I was able to really twist it up. The short ride into town was a blast. I got all my running around done and was heading back toward the highway when I was accosted by a bunch of sport bikes. You always hear how they sound like a heard of bee's... this was no exception. I heard a high pitched buzz and there they were screaming around all of us on both sides. They timed it just right and made the light. I don't think they even slowed. On a fairly busy city street the blew past me and the four wheeler traffic at what I guessed to be about a 100. Enough to spook ya on a lazy morning.

The ride back to the shop was a nice one. Still no real traffic. Again I had that ride off and forget feeling creep in. Such a nice day.

Pulling up to the shop I was suddenly hit with a big case of the lazy hinie. Just had a total lack of energy. I tinkered with the carbs a little and made a few notes on what I needed and spent the rest of my time visiting. It was a good day for visiting.
Since I didn't have the drive to really do anything I headed back to the house to work on some of my other projects.
Funny, I had made big plans, even to the point of taking a day off work, to get the bike back on the road. Guess it's just not it's time?
I managed to do about 150 miles and even got some of the smaller projects finished. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day as far as the old Yamaha. If not, well There is a lot to be said for visiting.
Hope to catch ya on the road

1 comment:

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

John, 150 miles is nothing to sneeze at...inreality. I can take five hours to ride that paltry amount of miles...I guess it's all in the quailty of the miles...not the quanity...I really do like to enjoy where I've been...

Damn those pesky bees...makes me wish I had wasp spray...how bout you?