Sunday, March 20, 2011

3/20/11

365 Group (f)


I got a call from the Big C Doctor saying it was time to remove any excess build up I had in my wallet. I scheduled the meeting for Friday in the late morning so I could get back on the road before all the mid seventies weather everyone was boasting was gone.
I got everything together fairly quickly. I mean it was warm and all sun shiny and I was ready to hit the road. Sidekick showed up for last minute details on watching the "kids". After a few More dos and don'ts I hit the kicker and bounced down the drive.

I ran over to the gas station to top off and grab something for a snack along the way. After the nose bleed at the pump. I got a fresh biscuit and ham and headed out.
Traffic was light. Most people were already at work and it was like having the road to myself.
My ride over to the sprawling community of Hindsville was pretty quick and most enjoyable. The warmer weather no doubt had lots to do with it. I leaned into Hwy 412 and got some real gone. Everything was clicking and I figured the way I was feeling I could risk a ticket. All the way to Huntsville I had a real good time. I met several other riders along the way and they all had a big silly grin plastered on their face, like the one I had on mine. At the Huntsville bypass traffic suddenly slowed down. I spied the cause, a trooper beside the road with radar was keeping all us miscreants in line. After getting by him everyone opened up and moved on down the road.
At the little town of Marble, by the sale barn, I had a strange thing happen. I had always heard people talk about seeing something come off a truck or car kind of in slow motion. This morning a truck had pulled out from the sale barn and had just started getting up to speed when I saw a small dark "something" come off the rear of the trailer. In slow motion I saw it cross in front of my headlight and hit my fingers on my right hand. YES!!! it hurt. I managed to keep going until the Hwy 21 turn off. I limped over and took off my glove. With the pain I was feeling I expected at least one broken finger, if not all of them. Amazingly none were. What ever hit me just stung. I sat there rubbing my hand and thinking about what had happened. It was so clear. I saw it come out from the rear wheel on the trailer and then as it crossed in front of my headlight. Don't know what it was. I do know that it was enough. I gave my hand a good massage and headed back out.
I rolled through Kingston,there wasn't too much going on so I kept moving along. Up the hill out of town making a lot of noise. That's always lots of fun.
Before I knew it I was at the Boxley Mountain and decided that this was a good place for breakfast and pulled in at the brake check area.

It was a great morning. Good food and hot coffee. The cell phone doesn't work over here. Bike was running great...what more could you ask for?
It was at about this time I decided that stock gold Wings should be outlawed. Where I was at I could see both directions for a good way and since I couldn't see anyone coming or hear anything coming, I decided that I could just step off the road a Little and relieve myself. It was about this time an older couple on two bright shiny Gold Wings came quietly, TOO quietly, by me. Might not have been as bad if they weren't smiling these silly smiles. I'm about to mount a Senate campaign to outlaw those stock pipes that no one can hear.
I finally got it all back together and headed on to the clinic. Guess it's cause I was close, I got to thinking about it all and the trip took a turn to being not as much fun. Pulling into the clinic I parked up next to the door where everyone could see my ride. I had about an hour with the doc, then about an hour drawing blood and so forth. They really are good people here. Even if it don't always sound like it. I do appreciate them.
I left with a lot to think about and headed out to my place at Deer.
The ride up the mountain was a good one. 7% grade for five miles. Hairpins and switch backs. Yep, it was good.
I kicked around at home with mom and family for the rest of the evening and crashed early. It was good to be back home.
Next morning,after breakfast, I did a walk around of the bike and got ready to get out and beat the Thunder Storm that was heading in.
I cant really say much about my last 100 miles other than it was one major cross wind! I did beat the storm. I didn't get any rain so I guess that means I beat it?
I ambled around home and came in from the East side. I had wanted to get a picture off the bridge for a while. Something about this just jumped out at me.




catch ya on the road

No comments: