Friday, May 15, 2009

5/15-16/2009 "only flat on the bottom".


It was a simple plan. Get off work. Ride to the house and feed the little Republicans. Ride to Deer and photograph my Niece and Nephews graduation.

All was going well. The bike was running great and I was only slightly crowded on time.

Running down Hwy 412 I was having a good time. I was with a bunch of cars that were hitting about 65 to seventy miles per. We seemed to be just floating along.

Coming into Marble traffic started slowing a little and I got on my back break. As I got on the break I heard a "whoosh" and the rear end started acting like Jello, wiggling and jiggling. Opps! I thought, this can't be good. Sure enough it wasn't. I got over and off the road to find a flat back tire.

Looking around I was about half a mile from the store in down town Marble. Half a mile isn't much unless you have a flat. Then it might as well be five or six miles. If you don't believe me try pushing your bike with a flat. Weighing my situation and options I decided to idle - walk it to the store and skip as much pushing as I could.
I finally made it to the store and their air hose. Yep, I managed to confirm that I was officially stranded. At one point the air came out faster than I could put it in. Since I run the original wheels on this bike, spoked with tube tires I couldn't plug it. So I thought about it some and decided to go make a few phone calls. I called Mom's house and let everyone know that I wouldn't make it to Graduation. Next I called my riding buddy Luther and asked if he'd run the truck over and pick me up. Luther said sure and I settled in for about an hour wait. It really wasn't so bad. I got an order of Hush Puppies and cup of Coffee, crowded into a booth and relaxed.
Luther arrived about the time I finished eating and we loaded up. the drive back to the house was a good one as I enjoy Luther's company and conversation. On the trip home we agreed to leave my bike in the truck and unload it in the morning at his shop.
Saturday morning and I jumped into my car and headed to the shop and to tear down the back tire. Patching the tube, twice, was an experience. First time was a hole caused by a piece of sand or something that had gotten inside. The second came from pinching the tube putting it back together. Finally we got everything back together right. I visited with Luther for a few minutes and headed out for a shakedown ride.
I'm planning on a Sunday morning ride over to Eureka Springs. Who knows, I may even make it down to Mom's? I still have Graduation gifts to deliver.
Yep! That was me beside the road.

No comments: