Sunday, May 24, 2009

5/23/09 Riding in the 21st Century

365 Group(f)


A bunch of us older riders happened to meet at a little out of the way place the other night in Fayetteville.

Weather was good and I guess we all had the same idea, a short ride and a quick bite to eat. A bunch of us used to have a weekly bike night that was sort of like that. We'd all ride for dinner someplace new each week. It was lots of fun. Dinner with your friends.

As we all noticed each other we naturally did the push the tables and chairs together thing. It was big fun. I got to know some of these guys that before I had only seen around here and there at bike events.
Before long the topic of conversation turned to the new modern style of biking. It was refreshing to see that there were several people that shared my views on this new way of doing things. Technology has evolved to the point that it has bred a whole new biker culture.
The first thing that came up was the new electronic or computerized systems on bikes. Now you have to take them to the shop for any kind of tune up. From what some of these guys were telling me about their own rides, there is not even a minor repair that they can do beside the road. "It all effects the computer that runs everything". Mine has carbs and points. Both are "user friendly" beside the road. Then, there's belt drive. Granted that belt drives have been around since the earliest days of motorcycles. If you look at the newer bikes, again you have to take them to the shop to do anything with the belt. On mine you may get a little greasy but again, it's "user friendly" chain can be dealt with along side any road. A lot of things were griped about that fits into this new and improved category. The biggest gripe that was generally shared by all is the cell phone. While it is one of the greatest of modern conveniences to ever come along. And, everyone has one. Trouble is everyone just assumes that everyone has one. Well, back I guess in my "dark ages" if you rode and came upon a bike beside the road, you'd stop and see if help was needed and at the very least make a new friend. Now since the availability of the cell phone,there is no need to stop and check to see if someone is having trouble. You see it everyday. A bike beside the road and other bikes just zoom on by. Some do go as far as to give you a thumbs up or that two fingered booger picker hand gesture that you see a lot around punk rock concerts and on a lot of the new reality shows. Ya know the one with the index finger and the pinkie finger extended that sort of says " hey, I can pick my nose and someone Else's if I need to". Guess it's better than them just extending the middle finger?
This phenomenon I found out is experienced by a bunch of people. Not just us old "use to wazer's". While we were talking several younger riders had came in and drifted our way. They agreed with us that a certain part of the brotherhood was gone. Most stated that they had grown up Reading about and hearing how riders took care of each other on the road. One even went so far as to relate that he had broken down recently and really hadn't worried too much until it became obvious that no one was paying him any mind he said "I just couldn't believe that none of the bikes that went by even offered to stop". Everyone, young and old there also agreed that was one of the real down sides to riding in this new 21st century.
Before we knew it it was almost closing time for this great little sandwich shop. Heading out it occurred to me as I'm sure it did to most there. I have my on feelings toward this new trend in riders and riding. If you can't spare a few minutes to check on a fellow rider, well as for me, you don't need to spare any effort at sign language. I'm not a punk rocker and I can pic my own nose.
My sign language is limited so I'll have to catch ya on the road.

mail: bikin_ridin@yahoo.com

No comments: