Monday, May 25, 2009

5/25/09 Memorial Day


365 Group (f)
Yesterdays storm dumped about an inch and a half of rain and continued through out the night.
This morning when I got out the sky was still very rainy looking. I thought that I would probably be better driving my car and started getting ready. I don't really like taking my car as it tends to make me feel less attentive in traffic. I may be wrong but I feel a lot sharper and more in control when I'm on my bike.
My Pup's looked like they had no interest whatsoever in going out in all that wet. I started out to take the car and heard the sounds of a big v twin over on the road. looking again at the sky I turned and went back to the hose for a couple of plastic bags and an extra pair of dry socks. I struggled into my rain gear and packed all my junk in the plastic, strapped it on and hit the kicker. About half way through the kick she fired off. Now I was beginning to feel right about all I had planned for the day.
Bouncing down my worn out driveway was a workout in itself, Dodging all the slimy red clay that had surfaced. I got on to the pavement and slung gravel and clay for about a hundred yards as I took off. I really don't like red clay.
At the highway there wasn't any traffic as I headed west. Remembering that today was memorial day explained the absence of traffic. I got up to speed and had a great run for about ten miles. The pavement was all washed off and I was making really good time.
Pulling into Fayetteville I ran by the ATM and got some lunch money and it started to rain a little. I sat for a few minutes and it didn't get any heavier so I pulled out and went North toward Springdale. Traffic started to pick up a little but I wasn't slowed any. It was a good morning to ride.
Pulling into Springdale I headed for a close fast food place and got Biscuit something or other covered in cheese. After eating I jumped back on and headed the last few blocks to work. Stopping to chat with the Guard at the Gate I found that over half the company would be off today and also noticed that several bikes were on the road. Holiday weekenders, caught out in this storm.
Since no one was working today I managed to park up under the awning.
It was a great morning ride. Hope the afternoon one is as much fun.
catch ya on the road

mail: bikin_ridin@yahoo.com

No comments: